The Government Investment In Arts, Music And Theatre Is A Waste Of Time | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
The government’s investment in arts, music and theatre is a waste of money. Governments should invest these funds in public services instead. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
According to some people, the government should not invest in arts or music as they offer little return on investment. In their opinion, public money should be spent on improving social services and infrastructure. While I do admit that it is important to spend money on public services, arts cannot and should not be ignored.
Arts, music and theatre showcase the unique culture of a country. Without government funding many art forms cannot survive in this age of multimedia where round the clock entertainment is available at the fingertip. Hence, if the government ignores the art sector, many unique forms of dance, music or painting will disappear. This will be a huge loss of culture and identity. The art forms represent a country on the global stage. For example, India has unique dance and music forms. They showcase the history and culture of the country and play a huge role in attracting tourists. Consequently, the government of India is spending money on promoting classical dance and music. This has not only enabled talented people to pursue these art forms but also helped the country attract foreign tourists and earn money. Obviously, the argument that investing in arts is a waste of money does not hold water because just like any other sector, the art sector is also capable of generating revenue and providing employment.
Of course, public services cannot be neglected. They are crucial for the growth and development of the country. Every government has to invest in health, education and infrastructure. If these sectors are ignored, no nation can progress. Worse still, poor public services can cause the people to revolt against the government. However, investment in public services must not be at the expense of the art sector because both of them are required for a country to prosper. Hence, the governments must certainly prioritize social welfare; at the same time, it should also allocate a small proportion of its annual budget for conserving art.
In conclusion, the government must invest in all areas that are crucial for the development of a country and preservation of its culture. While public services enhance the standard of living, the art sector protects the cultural identity of a nation and its people.
- Government Investment In The Arts Is A Waste Of Money | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Should Government Spend Money On Arts When They Have So Many Other Important Issues | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Argue That Arts Are A Waste Of Money | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Government should stop wasting money on arts
- Some People Think That The Government Is Wasting Money On Arts | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That The Government Is Wasting Money On Arts | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people think that the government is wasting money on the arts and this money could be better spent elsewhere
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools give more importance to subjects like arts, music and creating writing?
- The Government Is Wasting Money On Arts And This Money Could Be Better Spent Elsewhere | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Should Governments Support Art And Artists?