The free movement of goods across national borders has long been a controversial issue | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
The free movement of goods across national borders has long been a controversial issue. Some people argue that it is necessary for economic growth, while others claim that it damages local industries. Discuss both points and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Globalization of trade has been a controversial topic for a long time. Although some people believe that it is essential for growth and development, others argue that it has an adverse effect on local industries. In my opinion, the flow of goods across countries is crucial for economic development.
On the one hand, globalization is considered as a necessity for the growth of world economy. Firstly, it promotes rapid development of goods with better quality. Different countries excel in the production of different goods and because of globalization they are able to share the finished products with the rest of the world. Secondly, it helps in producing cheaper goods. Market size has changed from local size to international size which helps manufacturers to produce goods in huge quantity and hence at cheaper prices / rates. Additionally, it makes resources available across the planet. For example, countries like Saudi Arabia import all the food products from other countries as their land is unfit to support the vegetation and export crude oil to other countries.
On the other hand, people are against international brands because it creates a lot of competition for small brands operating in a limited area. For example, with the arrival of international shoe sellers, local manufacturers are facing trouble in selling their products. Additionally, international brands are much cheaper than local brands. Consequently, local shopkeepers struggle hard to sell their products against their cheaper counterparts. This may also lead to poor economy growth for countries that import much more than they export.
In conclusion, while globalization may have a negative impact on local businessmen, it is necessary as it promotes the development of technology and world economy.
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of globalisation
- Band 9 essay sample about hand-made and machine-made goods
- Over the last few decades, there has been an increase in international tourism | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 Sample About The Advantages And Disadvantages Of English As A Global Language
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Advantages And Disadvantages Of Globalization
- People Are Buying Products Of Large Businesses. What Problems Does This Cause | IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about falling air fares
- Many animals are being hunted to the brink of extinction. How can this issue be tackled?
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample About Air Travel And Air Pollution
- IELTS Model Essay