The best way to reduce traffic congestion in cities is to provide a free public transport service | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
The best way to reduce traffic congestion in cities is to provide a free public transport service. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give your opinion with examples.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Traffic congestion has become a global problem that jeopardizes human activities and affects the environment adversely. Some people argue that the best way to solve this issue is to provide free public transport. I believe that such a move will address the problem to a certain extent; however, it will not resolve it completely. In my opinion, a better solution is to build better and wider roads.
Firstly, providing public transport at no cost will encourage more number of people to use it. According to a survey conducted by “The Hindu”, nearly 46% of commuters readily agreed to utilize such a facility, owing to the fact that they can save a lot, in terms of money and fuel. Obviously, a free transport network will have a large number of users.
Nevertheless, there are some downsides to it. The foremost point of concern is that it will cost the government a great deal of money and thus burden the common man with heavy taxes. Taxes are not the only problem, though. Another point to consider is the peak hour traffic during which public transport is a very inconvenient option. Most offices provide free pick up and drop facilities for their employees to make their peak hour commute more comfortable. These people will certainly not want to use the public transport. What’s more, people living a life of luxury and comfort will want to travel by their own mode of transport at a time convenient to them. Thus it is evident that the idea of a no cost travel will not appeal to everyone.
In conclusion, providing free transport in cities will ease traffic congestion to a great extent. However, it is not a foolproof solution. if the government is looking for a lasting solution, it has to build better roads.
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Increasing Tax On Private Vehicles Will Reduce Traffic Congestion
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | In order to solve traffic problems government should tax private cars owners heavily and use the money to improve public transport
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | In Order To Solve Traffic Problems People Should Live In Cities
- IELTS essay sample: Some people believe that governments should invest in trains to solve traffic problems
- Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Increasing Car Ownership Has Made Many Cities One Big Traffic Jam
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Spending Money On Super Fast Trains Vs. Spending It On Existing Public Transport
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Increasing The Price Of Petrol Is The Best Solution For Traffic Congestion And Air Pollution
- IELTS Band 8 letter sample: Problems with public transport
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | It is important to have huge public spaces like parks and squares in towns and cities.