Technological and scientific advantages are changing the food people eat. Some believe that these changes can be harmful to the health of the people. Others challenge this. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Science and technology has penetrated almost all facets of human lives and food industry is not exempted from getting the benefits of this. While some people believe that the changes in the scientifically altered foods are beneficial to the mankind, others assert that they are affecting the health of the people adversely. I certainly agree with the latter viewpoint.
There are many advantages to altering the genetic property of foods. First, to meet the surging demands of the public several produces such as crops, cereals, fruits and vegetables, are genetically modified; consequently, those can be produced in abundance. Besides this, genetic engineering has enabled farmers to grow crops in less time.
Second, the busy lifestyle in the present era compels many people to consume ready to eat meals. Hence, foods are packaged and preserved using scientific methodologies to increase their shelf life so that they can be consumed even months later.
On the other hand, this process raises some concerns as well. To begin with, it has been observed that people experience difficulty in digesting the genetically altered foods. In other words, simple forms of foods are always good for health and easily digestible as compared to the altered foods. For instance, the scientifically modified crop corn creates a lot of digestive problems among people these days. Next, the packaged foods have excess amount of oil, sugar, salt, synthetic chemicals and preservatives which are disastrous to health and this might cause cholesterol, obesity, diabetes and other health hazards.
To recapitulate, there are certainly some valid reasons to scientifically alter the foods we consume; however, considering the potential health consequences that may arise due to this, I am against this practice.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Some People Think That GM Foods Can Solve Food Scarcity | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 9 essay about GM foods
- Most People Prefer To Eat Ready To Eat Food Than Home-Made Food | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Most People Prefer To Eat Ready To Eat Food Rather Than Homemade Food | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Some People Support Factory Farming And GM Crops
- It seems clear that obesity in today’s society is to some extent due to the availability of fast food | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
- Nowadays People Prefer Readymade Food Instead Of Home Cooked Food | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample about increasing tax on food items
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Fast Food Is Replacing Regular Meals
- Educating People About The Harmful Effects Of Junk Food Will Reduce Its Consumption | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample