Students Should Be Primarily Taught Academic Subjects So That They Can Pass Exams | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
Students should be primarily taught academic subjects so that they can pass exams, and practical skills such as cooking should not be taught. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 7 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
The education system witnessed dramatic changes during the past century. There is a common belief that schools should focus more on academic subjects and less on the practical skills of a student. I fully disagree with this opinion and I think that children should be taught basic skills such cooking at schools. I will support my stand with valid arguments in the following paragraphs.
There is no doubt that academic subjects such as mathematics and science should be given more importance in the school curriculum. These subjects help children develop logic and understand the world around them. Additionally, academic knowledge is a good basis for a future career. However, not every student will pursue a career in science and each of them will need to cook at some stage of their life. For example, after graduation from school, many students move out of their parents’ house and start living on their own. Those In such situations, those young people who have never even fried an egg face serious difficulties. Had they learned cooking at school, this could have been avoided.
Cooking is not only a survival skill but it is also) fundamental for health and wellbeing. According to research, the people who know cooking and practice it on a daily basis have the lower risk of diabetes and colon cancer than the people who do not know how to cook and prefer to eat fast food. Children should learn how to prepare healthy and nutritious meal for themselves and the school should help them to gain this skill. Every school should have classes where children have an opportunity to learn simple recipes and under the teacher’s supervision. From my personal experience, I learned how to make soup at school and I appreciate this experience because it helps me now.
In conclusion, I believe that the school should take the responsibility to educate children on some practical activities such as food preparation. Although academic knowledge is absolutely necessary for a modern human being, cooking is a survival skill and a protective factor against some health issues.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Some People Believe That Children Should Study Academic Subjects At School; Others Believe That Practical Subjects Are More Important | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- High School Students Should Be Taught Money Management | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Formal Exams Are Used To Assess Students At The End Of Each Semester In Many Countries | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Only Subjects Related To Science And Technology Should Be Taught At University | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Senior School Students Should Learn A Wide Range Of Subjects | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Intelligent Students Should Be Grouped Together And Taught Separately | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Non-academic Subjects Should Be Removed From The Syllabus | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students be separated on the basis of their academic performance?
- Some People Say That Art Subjects Such As Music, Drama And Creative Writing Should Be Included In School Syllabus | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample