Sports Should Be Compulsory For All Students In All Schools | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
It is generally accepted that exercise is good for children and teenagers. Therefore physical education and sport should be compulsory for all students in all schools. What do you think? Give reasons for your answers and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
The benefits exercise has on children and teenagers are numerous. Incidences of lifestyle diseases such as obesity and diabetes are rising at an alarming rate, due to lack of regular exercise and wrong eating habits. In my opinion, one of the key ways to improve health and overall fitness is to make physical education and sport mandatory in schools.
Health benefits are the number one reason to make sports mandatory. Children who do not exercise are often found to be obese. Obesity brings with it a host of other diseases. Most of the obese children lack self esteem and are insecure about their fitness and looks. This may be one of the causes of depression among young people. By making physical education and sports compulsory in schools, the government can encourage students to engage in physical activity which will benefit them in the long run.
By participating in sports, teenagers not only get the much needed exercise but also learn skills for life. For example, most of the sports require the team members to co-ordinate and encourage fellow mates to achieve the common goal of winning the game). Interacting with team members and conveying their opinions and ideas will allow them to think and express freely. These skills will eventually make the person an extrovert and help in developing leadership qualities.
Making sport mandatory will in particular benefit those students who have a natural talent for it. By including sport in the curriculum, the government can encourage talented students to build a career out of it. Since children get to try their hands on various kinds of sports at school, they can choose the one they feel good at. There are many instances, where children from financially unstable families found their calling in sports while at school. Some of them have excelled in it and become extremely successful.
In conclusion, I feel that the schools should make sports and physical education mandatory in order to keep their students physically and mentally fit and to create awareness about the necessity of exercise in one’s lives.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay sample: Should sports be taught at school?
- IELTS Essay: Schools don’t give enough importance to health education
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- Band 7 essay sample | Schools should make drawing and painting compulsory
- Schools Should Take Health Education More Seriously | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Building more sports facilities is the best way to improve public health | IELTS essay sample
- Learning to play team sports is an important part of a child’s education | Band 9 IELTS Essay
- IELTS essay sample | Building more sports facilities is the best way to improve public health
- Band 7.5 essay | Youth should not be allowed to participate in sports
- Band 6.5 Essay Sample About Public Health And Increase In Sporting Facilities