Some Schools Are Strict About Their Dress Code | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some schools are very strict about their school uniforms and the appearance of their pupils, while other schools have a very relaxed dress code. What are the advantages and disadvantages of children of having a school uniform?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Many educational institutes have firm guidelines regarding school uniform and the appearance of their pupils, whereas some schools allow their students to wear what they like. Although having a strict dress code protects students from many forms of on-campus bullying and creates a sense of equality, it also interferes with their creativity and self expression and thus causes resentment among them.
One obvious benefit of having a strict dress code is that it reduces the on-campus violence and bullying. Moreover, the school uniform promotes the school spirit in students and eases the morning routine for both children and parents. Clothes are often considered as a status symbol. Consequently, many well-off students who wear designer garments make fun of their poor classmates who cannot afford the newest fashion clothing. School uniforms put everyone on a level playing field and prevent this type of bullying. What’s more, if you know exactly what you are wearing to school, you can get ready in much less time. Furthermore, if every student wears the same school colours and mascots every day, they develop a sense of unity and togetherness.
On the other hand, there are a few disadvantages to having a strict dress code at school. Firstly, clothing is a great way for students to express who they are and their personal style every day. Having a strict dress code means they cannot wear the dress of their choice and this can make them feel like they are being oppressed. Secondly, the majority of students don’t want to wear uniforms and when they feel that they are being forced to wear uniforms, they begin to resent the school and administration.
In conclusion, while there are a few drawbacks to having a strict dress code in schools, in my opinion, uniforms help create a friendly and positive environment at school and promote equality and togetherness.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Post it in the comments below and get a band score estimate.
- IELTS essay sample: Should uniform be banned?
- IELTS essay: The clothing and fashion industry have a big influence on people. Is this a good or bad thing?
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | The Popularity Of Fashion Clothes Shows The Tendency Of Human Beings To Copy One Another
- Some people feel that boarding schools are an excellent option for children | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Now people wear similar clothes all around the world | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Single Sex Schools Vs Co-Ed Schools
- IELTS essay sample | Private schools should be banned
- Band 9 IELTS essay: Should children go to mixed schools?
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Discipline is an ever increasing problem in modern schools