Some people think that watching movies is a waste of time. Do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
According to some people, watching movies is a waste of time. I strongly disagree with this opinion as movies can be very informative.
Movies are considered as one of the most popular forms of entertainment and relaxation suitable for all age groups of society. To begin with, movies can be educational and inspirational rather than just a waste of time. Apart from entertainment, there are many movies that are based on current social and environmental issues, extraordinary achievement of individuals and major historic events. Such movies motivate ordinary people and have a huge impact on the society as well. For example, the movie, Three Idiots, challenged the traditional form of education system stressed upon the idea of learning by doing instead of just cramming the books. As a result, many public schools made changes in their school curriculum to provide education in an innovative and creative way. Therefore, watching movies helps individuals to learn important lessons from them along with entertainment.
Another reason why watching movies is not a waste of time is that movies are the best form of entertainment and relaxation. At the present moment, most of the people are living a stressful and hectic life. Watching movies facilitates to relieve this stress to some extent and helps people to think or work with a relaxed mind. Furthermore, it provides people a great opportunity to spend quality time with their loved ones. Schools and colleges organize special trips to cinemas from time to time for their students to provide them a break from their busy study schedules. Hence, watching movies provides opportunities for social interaction and is a good activity to rejuvenate oneself.
In conclusion, some people may vary in their views, but I think that watching movies is a useful activity as it provides education with entertainment.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Many People Are Spending Their Free Time Watching Movies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- More People Are Spending Their Free Time Watching Movies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports is a waste of time
- Some People Think That Watching Sport In Leisure Time Is A Waste Of Time | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- We Can Now Watch Movies On Phones So There Is No Need To Go To The Cinema | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays people have free access to online movies and music | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- Some People Believe That In Order For A Hobby To Be Enjoyable, It Needs To Be Difficult In Some Ways | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Say That Schools Do Not Do Enough To Teach Young People About Health | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Say That Now We Can See Films On Our Phones And Tablets There Is No Need To Go To The Cinema | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Films And Computer Games Which Contain Violence Are Very Popular | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample