Some People Think That The Problem Of Illegal Drugs Can Be Solved By Just Legalising All Drugs | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that the problem of illegal drugs can be solved by just legalising all drugs. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me. Find essay organization tips on our Youtube channel.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Illegal drugs are a grave concern for all the countries. According to many people, this menace can be eradicated by making all drugs legal. I totally disagree with this perspective. Legalizing all drugs will only worsen the problem. In my opinion, launching awareness programmes and enforcing stringent laws are the best ways to counter substance abuse.
Legalizing all drugs will make them readily available. Instead of solving the issue, it will actually compound it. Hence, the government must never attempt that. Instead, to mitigate the far reaching consequences of illicit drugs, the government ought to introduce a strict law that castigates illegal drug peddlers and users. These days drug traffickers have no fear of punishment because in many countries the laws are lax. Therefore, a stringent law will allow the authorities to take tough legal actions such as longer imprisonment and capital punishment. In Australia, for instance, a person found guilty of using illegal drug faces imprisonment for 10 years. This law has helped the local authorities to reduce drug related offences by 19%. Hence, it is evident that strict law can act as an effective tool to resolve the problem of illegal drugs.
Moreover, the government should shoulder the responsibility to launch awareness programmes in the schools and the colleges. Teenagers with impressionable minds are the most vulnerable to indulge in drug abuse which has a negative impact on their mental and physical health. Authorities can seek the help of media and famous personalities to send home the message that drug addiction can destroy lives. Such campaigns will deter many young people from falling prey to drug rackets. Parents also need to check their children’s room and bags regularly to see what they are taking to school and bringing home. Parental supervision and guidance play an important role in saving young people from substance abuse.
In conclusion, legalizing drugs is never a solution. Rather it will only worsen the situation by making drugs available to all. Hence, the government must never attempt it. Instead it should enact stringent laws and conduct awareness programmes to save the country from drug abuse.
- Some people believe that the problem of illegal drugs can be solved by just legalising all drugs | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Some People Believe That The Problem Of Illegal Drugs Can Be Solved By Legalising All Drugs | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample About Increasing Use of Drugs
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Laws That Prohibit The Sale Of Heroin Should Be Applied To Tobacco As Well
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Should the same laws which prohibit the sale & consumption of heroin be applied to tobacco? Discuss.
- In Many Professional Sports, There Is An Increase In The Number Of Athletes Using Banned Substances | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Illegal Internet Downloads Are Having A Negative Impact On The Music Industry | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Levels Of Youth Crime Are Increasing | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Is Public Health The Responsibility Of The Government?