Some people think that the government should take care of disadvantaged people such as unemployed and homeless people. Do you agree?
Here is a band 8 essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Nations around the globe launch different schemes and programmes for the upliftment of less privileged sections of the society. Many people insist that the government must ensure the well-being of people who don’t have a job or home. While it is true that by helping the poor and the destitute the government can reduce the crime rate, I disagree with this approach to a great extent.
When the authorities take care of the basic needs of underprivileged people of a society, the number of crimes they commit plummets. Unemployment and homelessness frustrates individuals especially youngsters. As a consequence, they commit heinous criminal activities to give vent to their anger. However, if the authorities equip the unemployed with the skills which can easily earn them a job or provides homeless with a roof to stay, many of these issues can be easily tackled. For instance, in India various free training camps are regularly organised to teach vocational skills to the jobless young people. According to official data, this has dramatically reduced the number of crimes committed in different states.
On the other hand, providing financial assistance to the less-advantaged will take a toll on the economy of the country. It is a known fact that economies around the world need to allocate a considerable proportion of their budget to more serious issues like health, education and national security. If the large portion of the country’s budget is used for the rehabilitation of jobless and homeless, other more urgent problems will be left out. As a result, the nation’s development will come to a halt and all the citizens will eventually suffer. For example, in Nigeria, the government implemented the scheme for the rehabilitation of homeless people, but the scheme failed badly. The failure has been attributed to the negative effect this scheme had on Nigerian economy.
In conclusion, although governmental assistance for the welfare of the disadvantaged can certainly decrease the crime rate, I believe that any scheme or programme for their betterment will negatively impact the economic balance of the nation. A country should strike a balance between development and upliftment.
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Governments Should No Spend Money On International Aid When They Have Their Own Disadvantaged People
- Band 9 essay sample | Government should give money to homeless people
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Government Should Increase Defence Spending To Protect People
- Band 9 essay sample | Should governments provide weekly financial assistance to the jobless?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
- Band 6.5 essay sample about the goals of a government
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- Band 9 essay sample | The government should pay one of the parents to stay at home
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | The Government Should Allot More Funds For The Teaching Of Science
- Band 7 essay sample | Government should take measures to improve people’s health