Some People think that the government should be responsible for crime prevention, while others believe that it is the responsibility of the individual to protect themselves. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
While some people are of the view that curbing criminal activities is the sole responsibility of the government, others opine that each person is responsible for their safety and protection. In my opinion, the government has a greater responsibility to keep criminal activities in check by enforcing stricter laws. Having said that, citizens also need to do whatever they can to ensure their safety.
On the one hand, some people feel that everyone of us should take care of our safety as police cannot be present everywhere at all times and this is true. For instance, thefts could occur in shops. The police cannot be present there all the time to prevent such incidents. Hence, it is the responsibility of the shop owners to take preventive measures such as installing an alarm or placing guards outside the shop. Customers also need to take care of their belongings to ensure that they are not robbed. Such measures can prevent many criminal acts from occurring. Thus, it is evident that each individual has a responsibility to ensure their safety.
On the other hand, there is a limit to what a person can do on their own. Only governments can enforce strict laws to keep the crime rate in check. Stringent laws will act as a deterrent and reduce the crime rate to a great extent. For example, in the Middle East (write: the Middle East) the punishments for each and every crime are so harsh that people do not dare to break any laws; as a result the crime rate in the Middle Eastern countries is the lowest in the world whereas in India the crime rate keeps on rising year after year because the laws are lenient and more often than not the criminals are let off very easily. Unfortunately, this encourages others to commit crime. Hence, the state has to own up the responsibility and enforce stern laws that will discourage people from committing crimes.
In conclusion, both the individuals and the government have the responsibility to prevent crime from occurring. The government should enact stringent laws to deter people from committing crimes. At the same time, people should also do whatever they can to ensure their safety.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 essay sample | Eliminating poverty is the best way to reduce crime rates
- Band 8 Essay Sample About Rising Crime Rates
- Some Think That Fighting Poverty Is The Best Way To Reduce Crime
- IELTS essay: Why is the crime rate increasing?
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates And Capital Punishment
- Some people think that the government should take care of disadvantaged people | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Many Countries The Amount Of Crime Is Increasing | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Essay: Rise in crime-rate among teenagers
- Band 7 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- IELTS essay about government taking measures to improve people’s health