Due to the development and rapid expansion of supermarkets, many small local businesses are unable to compete. Some people think that the closure of local businesses will bring about the death of local communities. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
These days supermarkets are the very first choice of any shopper. It is an accepted fact that due to rapid expansion of the supermarkets in some countries, many local outlets are losing business. Some people believe that this is very harmful for the local communities because it leads to the closure of many local businesses. I completely disagree with the argument that the supermarkets are dangerous for local businesses and local communities.
Many believe that local businesses are not able to compete with the supermarkets. Firstly, supermarkets offer low prices because they buy in bulk and get good discount from the suppliers. On the contrary, a local shopper buying from the same supplier has to pay a higher price and hence they cannot sell their goods at cheap rates. Secondly, supermarkets offer a wide range of products under one roof. That is why customers prefer to visit them instead of the local shops that sell only a limited choice of products.
On the other hand, I believe that the expansion of the supermarkets is advantageous for the local communities. First and foremost, it reduces the monopoly of local businesses. Now all local people have good opportunity to buy at low and competitive price. Also, the local vendors have the opportunity to optimize their processes. For instance, in China, local Chinese businesses have been successful competing against Wal-Mart, which is the biggest supermarket chain in the world. Secondly, by adopting new technology and new way of doing business, local businesses can easily win over big chain of supermarkets.
To sum up, it is true that many local businesses are not able to compete with the Supermarkets. Nevertheless, it is not impossible. On the other hand, the Supermarkets are helping local communities by offering products at low prices and at the same time they are challenging local businesses to improve their processes. Therefore, I am of the opinion that instead of closing down local businesses must learn from the supermarkets and put in effort to innovate their processes. In the end, the competition between supermarkets and local stores will only benefit the local community.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Due to the development and rapid expansion of supermarkets, many small local businesses are unable to compete | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Local Shops Are Closing Down Because Of Supermarkets
- People Are Buying Products Of Large Businesses. What Problems Does This Cause | IELTS Essay Sample
- Large Businesses Have Big Budgets And Hence People Buy Their Products | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about supermarkets and small shops
- Some People Have The Opinion That Big Shopping Malls Are Expensive Places As They Charge Higher Prices For Products | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- More And More People Are Working At Home Rather Than In The Workplace. Some People Think This Will Bring Stress To Home | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Say Supermarkets Have The Responsibility To Reduce The Amount Of Packaging For Products They Sell | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Small Businesses Should Avoid Recruiting Young Women Who Do Not Have Their Own Family In Order To Avoid Paying Maternity Leave | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Young People Bring More Profits To A Company | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample