Some People Think That The Best Way To Reduce Crime Is To Give Longer Prison Sentences | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people think that the best way to reduce crime is to give longer prison sentences. Others, however, believe there are better alternative ways of reducing crime. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Crime is a serious problem across the globe and all countries are trying to deal with this pressing issue. A section of the society believe that prison sentences for a longer duration can help to reduce the crime, whilst others disagree and argue that there are other better ways to solve this. This essay agrees with the argument that alternative ways such as educating people and giving them resources to earn are far more beneficial than confining them to a prison cell. This essay will discuss both points of view.
There are a number of people who think that offenders should be punished with longer prison sentences because this phenomenon can invoke / generate fear in a criminal’s mind. In other words, if a person is already aware of the intensity of punishment before committing any crime, it will discourage him from becoming a criminal. For example, in the UAE, the rapist and the murderer usually get lifetime prison sentences, resulting in making people think twice before committing any serious crime. Hence, imposing strict punishment deters people from committing crime.
However, I believe that alternative ways such as providing proper education facilities and employment can solve the issues far more effectively and I agree with them. Sufficient education and job opportunities keep the masses busy and nobody will try to commit any offence. Furthermore, people / citizens will have some goals in their lives to fulfill, which keeps them away from negative thoughts. To exemplify, in Sweden education is free for everyone and the country’s authority is continuously working for more employment options. That is the reason why Sweden tops the list of peaceful countries.
In conclusion, longer prison terms certainly instill fear in the minds of potential criminals and discourage them from committing crime. However, eradicating the root cause of crime by providing education and employment opportunities is a better option.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Educating Criminals in Prison Will Reduce Crime Rate
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample About Awarding Longer Prison Sentences To Criminals
- Some Think That Fighting Poverty Is The Best Way To Reduce Crime
- A Long Prison Term Is Not Good As Other Methods | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Eliminating poverty is the best way to reduce crime rates
- Some People Think That Prison Is The Best Place For Criminals | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Convicted Criminals Commit More Crimes After Getting Released From Prison
- In Many Countries, Prison Is The Most Common Solution For Crimes | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Many Countries The Amount Of Crime Is Increasing | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample about keeping criminals in imprisoned for long