Some people think that studying history is a waste of time while others think that it is essential to learn | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Some people think that studying history is a waste of time while others think that it is essential to learn. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay sample submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
People have different opinions about the importance of learning history. Some of them feel it is completely a waste of time, while others think that it is absolutely necessary to know about the past events that took place in our world. In my opinion, though it takes a lot of time to learn history it gives us not only an insight into our culture and tradition but also a sense of identity.
Nowadays, learning history might not look that interesting. It requires us to remember names, dates and facts which have little use in our everyday life. Obviously, it makes more sense to focus on science and technology which are more relevant in today’s world. Furthermore, each historical event has can be seen in different perspectives and interpreted in different ways. This is also discounts the importance of history as a subject for learning.
On the contrary, learning history throws light into how our own culture and tradition have evolved over the centuries. Not only does it highlight our culture but it also gives us a sense of belonging that helps to unite us. History also reminds us about some tragic events like holocaust and racial discrimination. It is important for people to remember these events in order to honour the memories of the victims and also to ensure that they never happen again.
In conclusion, not all parts of history are of use to people on a day-to-day basis. However, studying history is important to discover how we reached where we are today. History, after all, is the story of humanity and as such it cannot be ignored.
- Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history
- Band 9 essay sample | Merits and demerits of researching one’s family history
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools teach traditional subjects like history?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Should Everyone Learn English?
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Schools are giving too much importance to traditional subjects like history
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- Band 8 Essay Sample | More And More People Are Showing An Interest in Finding Out Their Family History
- Cue card: Talk about a subject that you didn’t like learning at school
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports is a waste of time
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | It Is Better For Children To Learn A Foreign Language At A Young Age