While it is sometimes thought that prison is the best place for criminals, others believe that there are better ways to deal with them.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Some people believe that prisons are the best place for keeping criminals, while others contradict this idea and insist that there are more efficient ways to reform them. In my opinion, criminals who are a potential threat to the society must be locked up whereas those with the desire to transform themselves must be allowed a chance to get involved in reformatory work.
Serious offenders who have been convicted of heinous crimes undoubtedly possess the ability to harm the society so they must be confined within a jail. The criminal intentions and motivations they have cannot be detected or discouraged using peaceful means. That means there is always the possibility that they will reoffend and wreak havoc in the society if they are allowed to move out of prison.
Even if they are deterred / prevented from committing crime outside prisons, they can influence young and needy minds to follow their footsteps and thus augment the crime rate. Thus, no fruitful result can be generated in the process.
However, juvenile offenders and other criminals who have been jailed for comparatively minor offences must be allowed a second chance to redesign their lives. They must be granted an opportunity to correct them and be absorbed into the society. Firstly, arrangements should be made so that juvenile offenders receive vocational training and moral education which will teach them to distinguish noble from evil, and become law-abiding citizens. Secondly, adults must be involved in vocational trainings and skill development sessions that will enable them to find a means of livelihood and stay immune to criminal tendencies.
In conclusion, it is not realistic to make and follow general rules for all criminals.Before determining whether a criminal should be sent to prison or not, it is important to consider the gravity of the crime committed by them. While a criminal with a dangerous record is a threat to peace and must be in a prison, the others who committed relatively milder crimes can be given an opportunity for reforming themselves.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Many Criminals Commit More Crimes As Soon As They Are Released From Prison | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample About Awarding Longer Prison Sentences To Criminals
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Educating Criminals in Prison Will Reduce Crime Rate
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Convicted Criminals Commit More Crimes After Getting Released From Prison
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Crimes Again After Serving Time In Prison
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Why Do Criminals Re-offend After They Have Been Punished?
- IELTS essay sample about keeping criminals in imprisoned for long
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Crimes After Serving Punishment
- Teenage Offenders Should Be Treated In The Same As Adult Criminals | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Further Crimes As Soon As They Are Released