Some People Think That Keeping Pets Is Good For Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people think that keeping pets is good for children while others think it is dangerous and unhealthy. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Pet ownership has become common in recent years, and many children are fond of spending time with their loyal companions like dogs or cats. While some individuals believe that this has a positive impact on a child’s behaviour, others argue that it is unhealthy and they may spread dangerous diseases. This essay will discuss both points of view and agree with the idea that having a pet is beneficial for young ones.
On the one hand, the primary reason for individuals to consider household animals as a threat is their aggressive behaviour. That is to say, children below five years do not know how to handle pet animals, and may provoke them by treating them roughly. For example, children may beat the pets or chew their ears. This causes a pet to become angry and attack young ones. Additionally, household pets may spread diseases like allergies and food poisoning because they carry dirt which contains various bacteria, pathogens and virus. However, a little bit of parental supervision is more than enough to take care of these problems. Parents should never leave very young children alone with the pet. It is also important to groom the pets properly so that they do not carry pathogens.
On the other hand, having a pet has various benefits for children. Firstly, caring for their furry friends, such as taking them for a walk, feeding them and grooming them teaches them to be responsible not only towards other animals but also with people. Furthermore, being exposed to dogs or cats from a very young age will strengthen their immune system, and thus reduce their chances of falling ill. A Swedish study, for example, reported that children below one year who grew up with dogs and cats have a healthy immune system and had no allergy issues or asthma, even though their family has the history of allergies and asthma.
In conclusion, although owning a pet has a few negative impacts on children, I believe that there are more benefits as they teach children empathy and also boost their immunity.
- Band 9 essay sample | Keeping pets can cause health problems in children
- Band 8.5 Essay Sample | It Is Unfair To Use Animals For Our Benefit
- Write A Letter To The Mayor About Teenagers Letting Their Dogs Loose | Band 7.5 IELTS Letter Sample
- Films Can Have An Effect On Children’s Education And Teach Them Many Things | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Protecting wild animals is a waste of resources | Band 8 essay samples
- Some People Think That It Is Necessary To Use Animals For Testing Medicines Intended For Human Use | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Wild Animals That Live In Urban Areas Should Be Killed | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Young People These Days Tend To Be Less Polite And Respectful | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Punishment Is Necessary To Help Children Learn The Difference Between Right And Wrong | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Watching Television Is Bad For Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample