Some People Think That It Is Better To Spend More Money To Eliminate The Cause Of Crime | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that it is better to spend more money to eliminate the cause of crime while others think that the government should spend more on punishment. Discuss both views and give your opinion
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Crime rate has increased tremendously over the last few years. Some people argue that it is better to spend money on curbing the causes of crime while others insist that more money should be spent on enforcing stricter punishment. In my opinion, eliminating the cause of crime is a worthier approach as it will lead to a harmonious society and a flourishing nation.
To begin with, nobody is born a criminal. Criminal tendencies are a result of the circumstances of life. It could be unemployment or injustice that the destitute suffer at the hand of the affluent. Although crimes like rape and cold -blooded murders have psychic involvement as well, the vast majority of criminal activities can be discouraged by uplifting the living standards of people. This can be done by providing more employment by the government and bridging the gap between the rich and the poor. By ensuring equitable distribution of wealth amongst all sections of the society, the government can reduce the number of crimes. Moreover, the government should reinforce the police and deploy more of them on streets so that it acts as a major crime deterrent.
On the contrary, increasing expenditure on punishment and making it stricter act as a major impediment to crime. Criminal cases should be fast tracked according to the severity of the crime and justice should be delivered at the earliest so as to install fear in the mind of the criminals. In addition to that, the judges should be the final authority pronouncing verdict so that appeals to higher authority and the government are not made as it wastes time and government resources. This in return traumatises the victim and the affected family further especially in cases like rape. Confinement and rehabilitation centres should be made so that besides spending time in jail the convicted should be trained to lead a crime- free life after their release However, for the benefit of the society spending more on punishment techniques does not discourage people from committing crimes as some are shrewd enough to find loopholes in the justice system.
To conclude, eliminating the causes of crime is a dual benefit approach as it not only ensures the safety of the citizens but also helps to curb the problem of unemployment and economic divide. Hence, I firmly reiterate that the government should spend more on controlling the causes of crime.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Some People Think That It Is Better To Spend Money To Eliminate The Cause Of Crime | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- Some People Think That High End Technology Can Prevent And Cut Down Crime Rate | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Longer Prison Sentences Are The Best Way To Decrease Crime | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That The Government Is Responsible For Crime Prevention | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Spend A Large Amount Of Money On Birthdays And Weddings | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates And Capital Punishment
- Band 7 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Should People Spend Their Money Or Save It?
- IELTS essay about growing crime rate