Some people think that it is better to educate boys and girls in separate schools. Others, however, believe that boys and girls benefit more from attending mixed schools. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
We know that education system plays a crucial role in shaping the future of our children. Many people believe that children should study in gender-specific schools whereas some argue that co-educational schools bring more benefit. This essay will discuss both sides and give my own opinion.
There are several positive aspects to teaching children / students in mixed schools. One of them is that boys and girls learn about how to respect each other. These schools help them to understand that both genders have equal rights and positions in society. For example, mixed education systems conduct a lot of extra-curricular activities to prove that boys and girls have the same potential to accomplish tasks. Another reason is that co-ed schools educate boys and girls to work in diversification. These schools educate how to understand a different gender in terms of biological factors, emotions and behaviors. Overall, mixed schools allow boys and girls to understand and respect each other in a society.
On the other hand, same sex schools have their own merits. These schools can spend time in educating one gender with more focus and can also teach students with new methodologies based on the gender. For instance, a research from Oxford University shows that girls perform better in mathematics if they get lessons through real- life situations. Another benefit is that teachers do not hesitate to discuss the gender specific topic while teaching. To illustrate, I remember that reproduction cycle chapter from my school days. My biology instructor had to take a separate class for boys as she was embarrassed to discuss the topic in the class of mixed students. Therefore, same sex schools open a channel for teachers to widen their teaching skills and give liberty to discuss the study materials.
In conclusion, both types of schools have their own merits. I personally feel that co-ed schools are more beneficial because they enable boys and girls to work together in different areas of education. This helps them to grow in their future profession or careers.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 8 essay sample | Boys and girls should be taught in separate schools
- Band 7 essay sample: Some people believe that boys and girls should be taught in separate schools
- In Some Countries Boys And Girls Are Educated In Different Schools | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS essay: Should children go to mixed schools?
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Girls Choose Arts And Boys Choose Science
- IELTS Band 9 Essay Sample About Girls Choosing Arts And Boys Choosing Science
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Single Sex Schools Vs Co-Ed Schools
- In Some Schools And Universities, Girls Tend To Choose Arts Subjects And Boys Tend To Choose Science Subjects | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Girls Choose Arts And Boys Choose Science At University
- Universities Should Accept Equal Number Of Male And Female Students In Each Subject | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample