Some People Think That It Is Better To Choose Friends Who Always Have The Same Opinion As Them | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people think that it is better to choose friends who always have the same opinion as them. Others believe it is good to have friends who sometimes disagree with you. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Choosing a friend and maintaining that friendship is crucial for staying mentally healthy. Some believe that friends should accord with them on every single topic while others view disagreement as beneficial and even constructive in certain situations. In this essay, I will discuss both opinions and give my own opinion.
To start with, opinions form characters and similar beliefs signify same characters. One of the advantages of having a friend with similar / same beliefs is that you can share hobbies and maintain your amity without fretting over quarrels and their grave repercussions. For instance, friends who agree that gambling in a poker game is ethically unproblematic can spend long hours together getting pleasure from the game without having to worry about the pangs of conscience. If these two friends had different stances towards poker, they would not be able to enjoy the game together.
However, discord in friendship is essential for vital decisions in your life. Disagreement can shed light on those aspects of life you are unaware of and this can lead to success. For instance, while pondering over immigrating to Canada a couple of years ago, I sought consultation from friends who disagreed with me on dozens of issues. Despite this, I found their suggestions about employment opportunities practical as they enlightened me about the issues I had neither foreseen on my own nor received from friends similar to me in character. Had I not listened to their differing opinions, I would not have been able to find a proper job in such a short time after landing in Canada.
In conclusion, there are certainly benefits to having friends who share the same values and opinions as us; it is equally important to have friends who can offer a different perspective on things.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Young people are getting more infleuenced by their friends
- It Is Better To Have Friends With Similar Opinions | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
- Some People Have The Opinion That Big Shopping Malls Are Expensive Places As They Charge Higher Prices For Products | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Television Has Destroyed Communication Among Friends And Family | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays Families Move To Different Countries For Work. Some People Think It Has Negative Effects On Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe It is Important To Give Gifts And Presents To Friends And Family To Show That We Care For Them | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Like To Spend Their Leisure Time With Their Colleagues | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Television, Friends And Music Are The Main Factors That Influence A Child’s Development | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Girls Choose Arts And Boys Choose Science