Some people think that intelligence is innate while others think that we can improve our intelligence through learning. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS Essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
While a section of people opine that intelligence is an inborn talent/trait, another section consider it as a function of learning. This essay will discuss the views of both camps and also provide my own perspective.
Proponents of the “intelligence is innate” theory often cite the phenomenon of children producing different learning outcomes in schools despite having the same inputs, as a principal argument. They further argue that apart from the variation in children’s performance in specific subjects there is also wide variation in their orientation towards different disciplines. For instance, some children show natural aptitude for art, a few others pick up math easily and some show keenness for history. Another aspect highlighted by this camp is that only a few people emerge as renowned scientists or scholars even though lot of people put in concerted efforts towards getting such accomplishments.
On the other hand, people propounding the “intelligence can be enhanced” school of thought, do have certain supporting arguments. They claim that the mere fact that our acumen improves over our life time proves / vindicates their belief. Furthermore, they argue that environment and inputs are critical for the development of knowledge or skills and that these two factors are available at different levels to different people. Consequently, the intellectual outcomes are as well different.
To conclude, in my opinion, both sides of the argument hold water. But neither side can sufficiently explain the scheme of things in this world. Interestingly, a discerning melange of both the schools of thought provides a rational outlook. Each one of us is born with intelligence that is quantitatively and qualitatively different from the other. However, this aptitude is not static but evolves continuously over time based on environment, tools available and attitude that one develops towards learning.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Some People Think That Success Is The Best Measure Of Intelligence | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some people feel that boarding schools are an excellent option for children | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Some People Believe That Children Should Be Brought Up In Cities | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Teaching Children At Home Is Best For A Child’s Development | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Shopping Is The Favourite Pastime For Most Of The Young People | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Young People’s Attitudes Are Different From Those Of Old People
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Leaders Should Be Intelligent
- Some People Think That Higher Taxes Should Be Collected From Industries Causing Higher Industrial Pollution | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe It is Important To Give Gifts And Presents To Friends And Family To Show That We Care For Them | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That International Sporting Events Create Conflicts Between People | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample