Some People Think That GM Foods Can Solve Food Scarcity | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
With a growing world population one of the pressing issues is that of feeding such a large number of people. Some people think that GM foods offer a viable solution to this problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
As the world population is rising, meeting the dietary needs of all people has become a matter of concern. Some people argue that growing more genetically modified food can tackle this issue. In my opinion, GM foods can solve this issue to a great extent but there are some other solutions as well for this problem.
Genetic engineering can be used for increasing the food production. By changing the DNA structure, people can make crops more disease and pest resistant. When crops are not destroyed by diseases and pest, the yield will be more. In addition to this, more desirable features can be added to crops by genetic engineering. For example, by using genetic modification we can grow bigger fruits or vegetables. Nutritional value of crops could also be increased by genetically modifying the crops.
However, GM crops have some drawbacks and depending more on them is not the right solution to this problem. When crops are manipulated to increase yield, certain natural nutritional contents may be lost and also, people may get allergies by consuming these kinds of foods. Because of these reasons it is unwise to depend too much on them. A better solution is to encourage all people to grow their food. If each family can grow enough food for themselves, food scarcity will not be a problem at all. If this is made a legal obligation, people can eat naturally grown healthy food and their nutritional requirements will be met.
In conclusion, GM foods can certainly solve the food scarcity to a great extent. However, they are not the only solution. Instead of depending on GM food bought from the market, people should try to grow their own food in their backyard.
- Band 9 essay about GM foods
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Consumption of Fast Foods
- Band 7 essay about increasing tax on fast foods
- Band 9 Essay About Increasing Tax On Fast Foods
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- Band 9 essay about organic fruits and vegetables
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Fast Food Is Replacing Regular Meals
- IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food
- IELTS essay sample | Fast foods are bad. Do you agree?
- Band 9 essay sample | Tax on fast foods should be increased