Some people think that getting a degree from a university is the best way to guarantee a good job, others believe that it would be better to go straight into work and get experience instead. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Finding a good job is a herculean task in this challenging world. It is commonly believed that tertiary education is the best way to secure an ideal job. Although this view is supported by some, others have a strong counter-argument that gaining work experience is a better option. In my opinion, education and work experience are both equally important. It depends entirely upon the requirements of the job.
To commence with, it is globally accepted that a university degree is the key to great career opportunities. Some professions demand a set of skills that can only be gained by a detailed study of the subject in college. For example, to become a doctor, an engineer, an architect, and an advocate a university degree is a must in order to equip oneself with the comprehensive knowledge of the subject to cater to these professional requirements. Therefore, it is said that a certificate of tertiary education is extremely important to be in professions where high level skills and thorough knowledge are the first and foremost prerequisite.
On the contrary, there are professions which focus on experience rather than the degree. Entrepreneurship is one of the best examples in this category. For example, one does not need a university degree to open a restaurant or a workshop. These careers are based on practical experiences rather than university education. For example, in India the extremely successful small scale business named Lijat Pappad is owned and run by a group of women who neither pursued studies nor possessed any degrees. Thus, it is evident that in some sectors experience is more important than formal educational qualifications.
To conclude, it is the nature of the job which requires whether education is more important than work experience. A university degree is a must in certain sectors whereas experience is more relevant in some other sectors.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate. Need help with English grammar and writing? Buy my book with proven tips and tricks to improve your grammar.
- Band 9 essay sample | One should get a university degree for a good job
- Band 7.5 essay sample about the need to get a university degree
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Completing university education is thought by some to be the best way to get a good job. On the other hand, other people think that getting experience and developing soft skills is more important.
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Some People Think That Students Should Go To University To Improve Their Career Prospects
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Young People Should Have University Education
- Many People Nowadays Travel Abroad For Their University Education | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is A Sharp Increase In The Number Of People Studying At University
- Only Subjects Related To Science And Technology Should Be Taught At University | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- You Are A Current Student Of Loren Brusque University | Band 9 IELTS Letter Sample
- University Education Should Be Free To Everyone | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample