Some people think that city governments should spend more money to promote bicycle use in cities. Others, however, believe that cities should focus on investing in public transportation systems like trains or buses. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay samples
While some people think that the local administration should increase funding to encourage bicycle use among citizens, others opine that more emphasis ought to be given to strengthening the public transport networks. In my opinion, the authorities should take both measures to improve the traffic situation in cities.
On the one hand, some people believe that the state should spend money to motivate bicycle use as it is healthy and environment friendly. When people are encouraged to use bicycles as the primary mode of transport pollution and consumption of fossil fuels will come down. To illustrate this, as the majority of people are using bicycles in Melbourne, the amount of particulate matter in air is very low according to a recent survey by the state. Furthermore, it is observed that when more people start using the bicycle the society becomes healthier. As cycling is a good physical activity, people who regularly use bicycle to commute stay healthy and this will motivate others to adopt this practice.
On the other hand, others contend that improving public transport networks through enhanced funding by the state will save time and reduce traffic congestion in cities. An efficient and affordable transport system is considered a boon to office goers and ordinary people as it saves much time which is very vital in their busy work schedule. So it is the responsibility of the state to allocate more funds for building an efficient public transport system. A clear example of this is the metro train service in Chennai which has efficiently reduced the travel time by half for people travelling on it. Moreover, the provision of a good transport system in the cities helps to control the traffic congestion which is considered to be a mounting issue in most cities due to urbanisation and population outburst.
To sum up, after analysing the situation, it is not hard to see that both approaches have their merits. In my opinion, the government should encourage cycling and at the same time it should invest more in public transport systems.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Band 8.5 essay sample | Should governments spend money for training sports people?
- In Order To Solve Traffic Problems, Governments Should Tax Private Car Owners Heavily And Use The Money To Improve Public Transportation | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Public Art Should Be Funded By Governments | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Spending Money On Super Fast Trains Vs. Spending It On Existing Public Transport
- Providing Free Public Transport Is The Best Way To Reduce Traffic Congestion | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Why is cycling becoming less popular?
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Governments Should No Spend Money On International Aid When They Have Their Own Disadvantaged People
- Some People Spend A Lot Of Money On Tickets To Go To Sporting Or Cultural Events | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Best Way To Solve Traffic Problems Is To Provide Free Public Transport | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays News Companies Spend A Lot Of Money Covering International News | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample