Some People Think That Because More Children Find Some Subjects Such As Maths And Philosophy Difficult, They Should Be Optional | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people think that because more children find some subjects such as mathematics and philosophy difficult, they ought to be optional instead of compulsory. To what extent do you agree?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Since there is a vast majority of students who find it difficult to understand subjects like maths and philosophy, some people argue that they must be elective, not mandatory. However, I strongly disagree with this.
To start with, everyone has to do some mathematical calculations in their everyday life. One requires the knowledge of addition, subtraction, multiplication and even division for managing their budget. Besides this a decent understanding of mathematical concepts is essential to understand science and commerce. On top of it, competitive exams always have a section dedicated to this and hence students who do not learn maths at school cannot pass these exams. Years of laborious practice is a must to crack the exams; thus, students should start preparing right from school by learning maths.
On the other hand, philosophy gives us insights into life as it broadens our understanding of life, morals and values. Religious and spiritual knowledge, in particular, is highly philosophical. If a child learns this at the school, they will become spiritually and intellectually awakened. It inculcates empathy in them and it is an essential soft skill in today’s apathetic society. On top of it, it builds public speaking confidence, as its syllabus is designed in such a way that students can express themselves effectively in front of the audience. Theme based writers and lyricists are the spot-on example of this. Hence, philosophy is indispensable part in curriculum and it must be compulsory.
In conclusion, both the subjects and other similar ones must be compulsory at least up to the high school because they teach life skills to the students. Subsequently, they can be optional; hence, I oppose the argument.
Follow us on Youtube for IELTS writing tips.
- Band 9 essay sample: Should subjects like mathematics and philosophy be optional at school?
- There Are Some People Who Think That Schools Should Teach Children Specific Skills | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Children Should Study Academic Subjects At School; Others Believe That Practical Subjects Are More Important | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Children Should Not Learn Geography At School | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some Say That Music, Art And Drama Are As Important As Other School Subjects At Primary Level | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools teach traditional subjects like history?
- Band 9 essay sample | Subjects like drawing and painting are a waste of time
- Some People Say History Is One Of The Most Important School Subjects | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Instead Of Focusing On One Subject, Students Should Learn A Variety Of Subjects
- Children Have More And More Tests And Exams At School | What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Making Children Do Exams | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample