Some people think basic healthcare should be free for everyone | IELTS essay sample
Some people think basic healthcare should be free for everyone. Others believe people should pay their own medical costs. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
Here is an essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
IELTS essay sample
It is undoubtedly true that adequate healthcare is of extreme importance in the life of a person. Some people think that it must be free of charge for everybody. Others, however, believe that it is the responsibility of an individual to bear the entire cost involved in availing themselves of medical treatments and facilities.
It can be argued that a citizen pays a hefty sum of money as tax and so, authorities must provide all the treatment free of cost. While this can be true to a certain extent, I am of the opinion that being responsible for one’s medical expenditure can perhaps make a person more conscious of their health.
The affluent sections of the society pay a huge amount of tax to the government. The modern workforce, particularly those working in the public sector pay this sum from their monthly salary. Since this money is collected from the people, the government should certainly use it to provide various public services. So it seems that the demand for making fundamental health care free of cost is reasonable / justifiable.
On the flip side, there is a strong argument in favour of making individuals responsible for their healthcare. Once a person pays the exorbitant prescription and treatment charges he becomes wary of the expenses involved in the process. As a result, he makes conscious efforts to keep himself fit and healthy. For instance, in India many people do regular exercise and yoga just to avoid the huge treatment charges. Additionally, when people are responsible for their medical expenses, more and more of them will want to lead a healthy lifestyle. Having said that, the government must step in to help those who cannot afford to pay their medical bills.
In conclusion, I am of the view that although we pay massive amount of money in the form of tax, paying for our own treatment definitely helps in keeping us healthy and fit.
- IELTS essay sample | Spending money on preventing illnesses is better than spending it on treating them
- The prevention of health problems and illness is more important than treatment and medicine | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay about government taking measures to improve people’s health
- Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments provide free internet?
- Band 7.5 essay sample | The government should ensure that people stay healthy
- Band 7 essay sample | Government should take measures to improve people’s health
- The best way to reduce traffic congestion in cities is to provide a free public transport service | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 IELTS essay sample | The growing number of overweight people is putting a strain on the health care system. Some people think that the best way to deal with this problem is to introduce more physical education lessons in school curriculum