Some People Say Television Is Useful In Education, While Others Say It Is Useful Only For Entertainment | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people say that television is useful in education, while others say it is useful only for entertainment. Do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Although television channels today telecast many educational shows most of these programmes are targeted at mature people and not children. Most of the children watch TV to see their favourite cartoon characters. Therefore, I disagree with the argument that children must be encouraged to use television as an educational tool for their studies.
Because many informative channels such as Discovery, Animal Planet, BBC, and many more are available to watch, it does not guarantee that children will gain knowledge by watching them. In fact, kids are smarter these days and if they are granted permission to view TV they will watch programmes that they like. For instance, children are addicted to cartoons and if they are not under parent’s supervision, they will watch only cartoons and sports channels, and not the channels they were are supposed to watch. Children consider a television as an entertainment device and not as an educational tool. So, it is not advisable to encourage children to watch TV.
Secondly, when kids watch TV for long hours, it puts strain on their eyes. For instance, a cousin of mine who is ten years old used to spend around eight hours a day watching TV and playing video games. Today at this young age he suffers from frequent headaches and is forced to wear glasses. That is the reason doctors advise parents to restrict the amount of time children can spend watching TV.
To conclude there are channels that provide information and knowledge, but these are more beneficial for adults than kids. Children must learn using the traditional methods of learning. They can also use tools like computers and the internet, but not television because to the best of my understanding it is not an efficient educational tool.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay sample: Television’s role in education
- Some People Believe That Watching Television Is Bad For Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample: Television is good for us. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- IELTS Essay: While some people like to a live sporting event, others prefer to watch it on television
- Television Has Destroyed Communication Among Friends And Family | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- It Is More Convenient To Watch A Movie On Television | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Young People No Longer Read Newspapers Or Watch Television
- People No Longer Use The Television And The Newspapers | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Children spend too much time watching TV