Some people get into debt by buying things they do not need and cannot afford. What are the reasons for this behavior? What actions can be taken to prevent people from having this problem?
Here is a band 7 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
Some people tend to purchase expensive products even though they do not need them and land themselves in the debt trap. Commercial advertising, consumerism, and an increase in the usage of credit card are some of the reasons of this trend. However, there are several measures that can be taken to discourage people from over spending. These include encouraging saving habits and discouraging the use of credit cards.
To commence with, it is a globally accepted fact that TV-advertisements have a significant impact on an individual’s life. These commercials presented and pretended to be used by famous celebrities easily grab people’s attention and drive them to buy it even though they do not need it. Moreover, consumerism is deleterious to the society. Some people cannot resist the urge to splurge after seeing attractive sales offers. Besides, increasing usage of plastic money mainly, credit cards, provides consumers the opportunity to spend more than they can afford. Many people intentionally use their credit cards to pay for an overpriced item, as they can pay off the money in installments. All these factors jointly persuade an individual to expend more than they can afford on needless things.
However, discouraging the use of credit cards can prevent people to some extent from spending a greater amount of money on unwanted things. In addition, the government should encourage saving habits among people by introducing attractive deposit schemes.
In conclusion, though commercials, the consumptive lifestyle, and plastic money encourage people to spend more on unnecessary or useless things, encouraging saving habits and making credit cards inaccessible will coerce an individual to spend less and save more for future.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Improve Your English Grammar
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- An Increasing Number Of People Use The Credit Card | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Bank Should Check The Finances Of A Person Before Issuing Credit Cards To Them
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample About Careless Use Of Credit Cards
- Some People Consider Price As The Most Important Thing When Buying A Product Or Service | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Do credit cards have more advantages than disadvantages?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Price Is The Most Important Thing To Consider When Buying Something
- Band 7 Essay Sample | People Are Buying Useless Things
- IELTS essay: Will credit cards replace traditional currency?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | People Are Buying Things They Don’t Want
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample About People Are Buying Unwanted Things