While some people consider global warming to be the most pressing environmental problem which we have at the moment, others believe that deforestation has more devastating impact on our world. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me or buy my book with proven tips and tricks to improve your grammar and writing.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Some people believe that global warming is the most challenging environmental issue that we have nowadays; however, others think deforestation has more destructive effects on earth. This essay will discuss why global warming and deforestation are both harmful for the environment.
On the one hand, global warming has caused a drastic rise in temperature all over the world. It is mainly because of the high / higher amounts of radiation reaching the earth due to the depletion of the ozone layer which is caused by the emission of greenhouse gases such as carbon -dioxide and chlorofluro carbon. Because of such climatic changes, sea levels are bound to rise. For example, an article published by The Times in 2018 reported icebergs in Antarctica were melting at a higher rate than usual. If, this scenario continues increasing sea levels can cause an entire region to disappear or to be submerged. Moreover, the radiation effects can cause dreadful diseases affecting the skin and eyes.
On the other hand, the cutting down of trees on a large scale will affect the quality of air. Trees absorb carbon dioxide which emanates from the burning of fossil fuels and releases oxygen. Thus deforestation can result in high carbon dioxide levels and low oxygen levels which cause damaging effects on the environment. The high CO2 levels can actually contribute to global warming as well. Generally speaking, the effects of deforestation are usually limited to the area that has lost the forest cover. But global warming is a phenomenon which affects the living beings all over the world. If this issue is unresolved catastrophic events such as tsunamis and hurricanes can arise frequently and also make human beings vulnerable to deadly diseases.
In conclusion, deforestation and global warming are both harmful for the environment. While the effects of deforestation are limited to a particular geographical area, global warming has an impact on the whole planet. However, it is hard to say which is the worst because one thing leads to the other.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 8.5 essay sample | Instead of preventing climate change we should live with it
- Pollution And Environmental Problems Cannot Be Avoided | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Environment protection is the responsibility of politicians
- IELTS about economic development and environmental problems
- Forests are the lungs of the earth | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Some People Think That The Best Way To Solve Environmental Problems Is To Increase The Price Of Petrol | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | We need to live with the climate change instead of preventing it
- To Solve The Ever-Increasing Environmental Hazards The Best Way Is To Increase The Price Of Fuel | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Sample About The Advantages And Disadvantages Of English As A Global Language
- Developments in technology are causing environmental problems | Band 9 IELTS essay sample