Some People Believe That Watching Television Is Bad For Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that watching television is bad for children. Other people believe that watching television is educational for children. Which opinion do you agree with and why? Give specific details and examples in your answer.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that watching television is not good for children while there are many others who believe that television is informative and educational for children. I firmly agree with the latter statement but in my opinion parents should decide which shows their children should watch.
On the one hand, several lines of evidence suggest that television is informative and educational for children. To begin with, shows like world discovery broadcasted on television help children to learn about new inventions. Furthermore, watching programs is an informative way of entertainment for children. For example, my son absolutely loves watching programmes on National Geographic/Discovery/BBC Earth. Many of these programmes have even helped him with his school assignments. He is not really into reading, but these shows give him the knowledge and information he needs.
However, television can be informative and educational only when parents decide which shows their children should watch. There are many shows broadcasted on television which can be unsuitable for children. Firstly, there are some shows which are related to violence, drugs and sex. These shows spoil the mindset of children. Secondly, young children blindly follow some characters and learn violent attitude from them. For instance, in the recent past there were many reports about crimes committed by teenagers. Investigations revealed that many of them had the habit of watching violent shows on television. Inspired by these programmes they plotted crimes. This is a good example of the harmful impact of television programmes on children. Thus it goes without saying that parents can make television either destructive or constructive for children.
To conclude, although television programmes can be informative for children parents should help them choose the right programmes. If children are allowed to watch whatever they want, they may unwittingly choose shows that have a detrimental impact on them.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Watching Violent Content Makes Children Aggressive
- IELTS essay sample: Television is good for us. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS essay sample | Children spend too much time watching TV
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports is a waste of time
- Band 9 essay sample | Watching TV or playing video games affect the intellectual development of children
- IELTS Essay: While some people like to a live sporting event, others prefer to watch it on television
- IELTS essay sample: Television’s role in education
- Children Should Be Allowed To Make Their Own Choices | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- People No Longer Use The Television And The Newspapers | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample