Some People Believe That Watching Television Is Bad For Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that watching television is bad for children. Other people believe that watching television is educational for children. Which opinion do you agree with and why? Give specific details and examples in your answer.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
People have different opinions about whether watching TV has positive or negative impact on children. While good content on television is certainly beneficial for children, I believe that the negative effects are more pronounced than the advantages.
On the one hand, there are some reasons why watching TV benefits juveniles in their education. First and foremost, there are too many shows that are produced exclusively for children either to entertain them or to provide them knowledge regarding particular subjects. For instance, the shows Scifact and Mathtricks are telecast to infuse knowledge of science and mathematics respectively among children in an entertaining way and children retain the facts and figures learnt in this way for much longer time compared to knowledge gained from books and teachers. Also, watching a television program is a lot more interesting for children than attending a dull class.
On the other hand, excess of everything is bad. Most of the channels are run 24 × 7 and because of the entertainment they provide, children are glued to the TV irrespective of the adverse effect it provides. Because of the excessive amount of time spent on watching TV, most of children these days are wearing specs. In addition to this, excessive screen time is a major cause of the obesity that can be seen in most of the children as they prefer watching their favourite shows to playing outdoor sports. And while watching they overeat unconsciously resulting in many health hazards at an early age of their life. Watching TV also distracts juveniles from studies as they find cartoons and children’s show more interesting than reading books and this certainly affects their scorecard.
In conclusion, even though watching TV under parental supervision has some good impacts on children, I restate that excessive screen time is indeed detrimental for them.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Some People Believe That Watching Television Is Bad For Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Watching sports on television affects the health of young people
- IELTS essay sample | Children spend too much time watching TV
- Some People Say Television Is Useful In Education, While Others Say It Is Useful Only For Entertainment | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Watching TV or playing video games affect the intellectual development of children
- More People Are Spending Their Free Time Watching Movies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample: Television is good for us. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some People Believe That Watching TV Is Good And Makes Life More Enjoyable | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Films Can Have An Effect On Children’s Education And Teach Them Many Things | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Watching TV does not improve the intellectual skills of children