Some people believe that the problem of illegal drugs can be solved by just legalizing all drugs. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Drug abuse is a major concern around the globe with numerous lives at stake; yet, illegal drug trafficking still flourishes. While some people believe that legalizing drugs would be a possible solution for this problem, I firmly disagree with this idea. In this essay, I will elaborate on my view with suitable illustrations.
To begin with, many nations have banned drugs because of the potential adverse effects caused by them. For instance, marijuana and cocaine are highly addictive and their consumption leads to hallucinations and severe mental illnesses. These substances are considered dangerous despite their use in treating some life threatening diseases. Hence, if these drugs are made available from pharmacy nearby then it would pave way for their abuse.
Furthermore, as mentioned earlier, drug abuse is a serious problem around the world. Young people, in particular, are the worst affected / worst victims. Countless teenagers are spoiling their lives by falling to this trap despite the immense regulations imposed on illegal drug trading. As younger generations are the building blocks for a nation, it is a vital concern. Hence, instead of proscribing these deadly drugs, if they are made locally available, then imagine the future of our children and community.
To conclude / to recapitulate, it is evident that legalizing all the drugs would negatively affect our community by encouraging drug abuse because of its easy availability, and thus affect the whole nation. I strongly believe that rather than marketing locally, the government should allow the usage of these drugs only for medicinal purpose with stringent laws. This way authorities can prevent drug abuse to a great extent.
- Some people believe that the problem of illegal drugs can be solved by just legalising all drugs | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample About Increasing Use of Drugs
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Laws That Prohibit The Sale Of Heroin Should Be Applied To Tobacco As Well
- Some People Think That Illegal Internet Downloads Are Having A Negative Impact On The Music Industry | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Many Countries, It Is Now Illegal To Smoke In Public Places | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Many Countries, It Is Now Illegal To Smoke In Public Places | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Believe That Social Networking Sites Have Had Huge Negative Impact On Both Individuals And Society | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Unpaid Community Service Should Be A Compulsory Part Of High School Programmes | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Levels Of Youth Crime Are Increasing | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample