Some people believe that school children should not be given homework by their teachers, while others argue that homework plays an important role in the education of children. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 7 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing module? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
Since ancient times, schools have been considered as the temple of knowledge. Therefore, it is often argued by many people that much of the learning should happen in the school and the students should not be burdened with home assignments. However, there are many others who disagree with this view; they think that homework is a crucial part of their child’s overall education. In my opinion, young students should not be given any homework because they need time to play once they reach home. However, older students should be given homework because they have to revise their lessons every day to achieve good grades.
On the one hand, many parents feel that homework is an extra burden that has been put on their child’s shoulder. In their opinion, children should be taught everything in school so that they can play or rest when they reach home. If students have no homework to complete, they can focus more on some sports which they could take up as a hobby or even as a career option. Or they can just play around with other kids and spend time with their families which would contribute to their overall personality development.
On the other hand, certain parents think that homework plays a vital role in the academics of their children. According to them, homework serves as a revision of the class work which helps the child to understand the topic better. It also gives them an additional practice of the lesson taught to them in the school. This, in fact, reduces the exam stress considerably as the student has practiced the lessons multiple times.
To sum up, it is said that too much of anything is bad; hence there should be a balance maintained in terms of homework given to a student. Schools should come up with a timetable which could allow students to focus more on studies in school so that they can focus on other activities after school.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Some People Believe That Children Should Not Be Given Homework Every Day | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay: Should children be given homework?
- IELTS essay sample | Should parents help their children with homework?
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Teachers Should Stop Giving Homework
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Advantages And Disadvantages Of Teaching Children At Home And School
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Children Should Do Only Homework Every Day
- Children Will Benefit From Attending Nursery School Before Primary School
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Some People Think That Parents Are Responsible For Teaching Children Discipline
- Some People Believe That Teaching Children At Home Is Best For A Child’s Development | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Teaching Children At Home Is Best For A Child’s Development | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample