Some people believe that modern technology is increasing the gap between rich and poor people. While others disagree .Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Technology is advancing by leaps and bounds. Some people believe that the latest technological innovations are widening the gap between the rich and the poor, whereas others disagree with this view. In my opinion, technology does not increase the gap between the rich and the poor; rather it provides several advantages to the poor sections of the society.
It is true that only the rich have access to certain technological innovations. For example, Apple iPhones are expensive devices that only rich people can buy. Actually, these days flaunting an iPhone or some other expensive gadget is the easiest way to show that you are upper class. In this way, technological advancements certainly divide the rich and poor sections of the society.
On the flip side, there are less expensive and dirt cheap alternatives to almost all gadgets. For example, it is possible to buy a mobile phone that has more or less the same features as an iPhone for one-tenth of its price. When it comes to technology price is not always an indicator of quality or functionality. Actually, as technology advances products become cheaper and affordable to all and sundry. For example, almost everyone now owns a mobile phone and uses it for various personal and other purposes. Data plans have become quite cheap and even the poorest can now access the internet on their mobile and benefit from this treasure trove of information. Small farmers, manufacturers and content creators are selling their products and services on the internet and finding buyers all over the world. In fact, technology has created a level playing field and lowered the entry barrier.
To conclude, technological innovations have a positive impact on all sections of the society. While some inventions of technology are still not accessible to the poor, the argument that technology increases the gap between the rich and the poor does not hold much water. In my opinion, rather than widening the gap, cheap modern technology is benefitting the poor by providing them an opportunity to compete with the rich.
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people think that the range of technology currently available is increasing the gap between rich people and poor people.
- Some People Believe That Modern Technology Is Increasing The Gap Between The Rich And The Poor | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | The rich are getting richer
- Some People Think That Modern Technology Is Making People More Sociable | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Rich Are Becoming Richer And Poor Are Becoming Poorer | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS sample essay: Modern technology has made our lives more complicated
- Band 9 essay sample | The rich nations should help the poor nations
- IELTS Essay: Has technology made us more efficient?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | The Gap Between The Rich And The Poor Is Widening
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Rich Countries Are Getting Richer And Poor Countries Are Getting Poorer