Some People Believe That In Order To Give Opportunities To The New Generation, Employees Should Retire At 55 | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that in order to give opportunities to the new generation, companies should encourage the employees who are older than 55 to retire. Do you agree or disagree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
The soaring unemployment rate has been a huge problem for many governments nowadays. Some people suggest that senior employees over 55 should be encouraged to retire so that they can make room for young people. Personally, I disagree with this idea.
It is true that if many elder people leave their jobs when reaching a certain age, more vacancies will be available, and then young people are able to secure a job easily. This will greatly reduce the unemployment rate in the society. Furthermore, with more young employees, enterprises can be more dynamic because young people tend to be more creative and innovative. However, I believe setting 55 as the retirement age is inappropriate.
Firstly, 55 is too young for most healthy adults to retire today. Modern people’s life expectancy has significantly improved as a result of the advances in science and medicine. It is not reasonable to ask healthy senior citizens, especially those who have great expertise, to stop working at such a young age. On top of that, their leaving could give rise to the shortage of skilled labour force, which subsequently would have an adverse impact on the efficiency and productivity of a company. Furthermore, if those who are still competent for their job were required to go home just because they are 55, they would perhaps feel unvalued and discriminated against. This might push them into depression and affect their mental wellbeing eventually.
In conclusion, encouraging old staff to retire at the age of 55 can help boost employment among young people and invigorate the company, but in my opinion, it is neither fair nor reasonable for many specialized senior employees and their companies.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Companies should encourage employees who work in a high position to leave at the age of 55 | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Young Employees Have More Skills And Knowledge Than Old Employees | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay: Are younger employees more valuable than older employees?
- Band 9 essay sample | Some managerial positions should be reserved for female employees
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | It Is Not Wise For A Company To Replace Its Old Employees With Young Employees
- Band 8 Essay Sample About Ways To Improve Performance Of Employees
- Employees in senior management positions should receive higher salaries | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Employers Should Pay Higher Salaries To Keep Employees Motivated
- Young employees are more valuable than old employees | Band 7 essay samples
- IELTS essay: Should new employees be promoted to higher positions?