Some People Believe That Children Should Not Be Given Homework Every Day | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people believe that children should not be given homework every day, while others believe that they must get homework every day in order to be successful at school. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Whether or not children should receive homework every day is a matter of debate. Many parents and teachers insist that students should be given some tasks that they should complete at home because it enables them to internalize the concepts they learned at school. However, others completely oppose this view and claim that homework puts students under pressure. Both views will be discussed in this essay before arriving at a conclusion.
Homework certainly benefits students in many ways. Most students will not learn anything unless it is compulsory. By giving them homework every day, teachers can ensure that they learn their lessons on the same day they are taught in the class. In my opinion, this is the biggest benefit of giving homework. Without constant practice it is not possible to succeed at school. For example, subjects like science and mathematics need regular revision. If students do not do homework, they will suffer during exams because of the piling up of work.
On the flip side, giving too much homework can be counterproductive. If students go home with dozens of tasks after spending seven or eight hours at school, the consequences could be quite catastrophic. The human brain, especially the brain of young children, requires rest to perform efficiently. Otherwise, it could malfunction and children might develop depression.
In my opinion, the concept of homework itself is not harmful. Problems arise when teachers give too much homework and when students fail to use their time wisely. For instance, if the deadline for a specific assignment is after 2 weeks, most students would leave it until the very last minute and by doing this they are putting themselves under unwanted pressure. Parents can prevent such situations by regularly monitoring the homework of their children.
In a nutshell, some amount of homework is definitely beneficial for the academic success of students. However, teachers need to ensure that they are not burdening students with excessive work.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay: Should children be given homework?
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Teachers Should Stop Giving Homework
- IELTS essay sample | Should parents help their children with homework?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Children Should Do Only Homework Every Day
- Teachers Are More Responsible Than Parents For The Intellectual And Social Development Of Children | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Parents Should Teach Children To Be Good Members Of The Society | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Children Have Too Much Free Time
- Some People Believe That Teaching Children At Home Is Best For A Child’s Development | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some Parents Prefer To Have Their Children Raised By Their Grandparents | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Some People Think That Parents Are Responsible For Teaching Children Discipline