Some people believe that capital punishment should never be used. Others, however, argue that it should be allowed for the most serious crimes. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
While some people opine that a death sentence should be given to people who commit heinous crimes, others insist that it should be abrogated. I agree with the assertion that capital punishment should be allowed for grave crimes because it is the best deterrent to combat crime.
The primary reason for death penalty in the case of serious crimes is to send the message that these kinds of actions will not be tolerated. As most of the heinous crimes are premediated, they can be prevented by creating the fear of death in the minds of criminals. Therefore, capital punishment is the best method to combat crime in any country. A prime example of this is Dubai where the number of serious crimes in the last five years are close to zero and this can be attributed to the implementation of capital punishment there.
Despite the above argument, many people believe that every offender should be given a second chance and the government should not support lawful revenge. I do not quite support this view. Although anyone can have a change of heart, it is highly unlikely in the case of criminals who committed heinous crimes like rape or murder. Several studies have also shown that hardcore criminals have a high likelihood of reoffending once they are released from prison. Needless to say, they pose a major threat to the society and hence death penalty is totally justified in this case.
In conclusion, many people support the capital punishment for serious crimes whereas a few disagree with it. In my opinion, death sentence should be allowed for serious crimes because it sets an example for future criminals.
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates And Capital Punishment
- IELTS essay about life imprisonment and death penalty
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Is capital punishment justified?
- Capital punishment should be abolished | Band 7 essay sample
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is An Increase In The Number Of Crimes Committed Each Year
- By Punishing Murderers With Death Penalty, Society Is Also Guilty Of Committing Murder | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many Offenders Commit More Crimes After Serving The First Punishment | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Crimes After Serving Punishment
- By Punishing Murderers With The Death Penalty, Society Is Also Guilty Of Committing Murder | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample