Some people argue higher taxes should be collected from industries causing higher industrial pollution | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Some people argue higher taxes should be collected from industries causing higher industrial pollution, whereas others argue there are better ways to deal with it. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Industries provide employment but they also cause a great deal of pollution. Therefore, some people argue that the government should impose higher taxes on industries that cause more pollution. I do not quite agree with this view.
Imposing higher taxes on polluting industries certainly seems like a good idea; however, if this measure is implemented, it will create more problems down the lane. To start with, companies may assume that they have a right to pollute as long as they are ready to pay the tax. Consequently, they will have no motivation to invest in greener technologies. Needless to say, pollution levels will get considerably worse within a few years.
A better solution is to encourage companies to reduce the pollution they cause. The government can offer them incentives to invest in greener technologies. For example, the government should consider offering tax rebates to companies that reduce their pollution levels. This will encourage more and more companies to adopt eco-friendly technologies. The government must also make it mandatory for all businesses to comply with emission standards. It must ensure that industries have set up plants to treat their waste before allowing them to start their operations. The laws already exist in almost all countries but the problem is that they are rarely implemented. This is particularly true in the developing countries where corrupt officials collude with entrepreneurs and issue commencement certificates without checking whether adequate waste disposal systems are in place. Moving hazardous industries to uninhabited places may also help.
To conclude, imposing higher tax on companies that cause more pollution is unlikely to solve the problem. Worse, this measure may exacerbate the situation. A better solution is to offer tax sops to companies that reduce their pollution levels.
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | The Effective Way To Reduce Industrial Pollution Is To Tax The Companies That Cause Them
- IELTS essay about increasing air and water pollution in developing nations
- Pollution And Environmental Problems Cannot Be Avoided | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | People Have More Responsibilities Than Paying Taxes
- Developments in technology are causing environmental problems | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Quality Of Air And Water Is Declining Due To Industries And Construction
- IELTS model essay: Do you think that factories and tour operators should bear the cost of cleaning up pollution?
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Government Should Reduce Pollution and Improve Housing to Prevent People from Falling Ill
- IELTS essay: Should new employees be promoted to higher positions?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Employers Should Pay Higher Salaries To Keep Employees Motivated