Some People Advocate Death Penalty For Those Who Commit Violent Crimes | IELTS Essay Sample
Some people advocate death penalty for those who committed violent crimes. Others say that capital punishment is unacceptable in contemporary society. Describe advantages and disadvantages of death penalty and give your opinion.
Here is a model answer for this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
IELTS essay sample
Many people are of the opinion that people who commit heinous crimes should be given death penalty while others believe that it is not the right approach to punish serious offenders. The advantages and disadvantages of death penalty will be discussed in this essay.
The biggest disadvantage of capital punishment is that it is morally wrong. No one, not even judiciary, has the right to take a life. Capital punishment enables the government or the judicial system to take the life of a person in the name of awarding justice to the wronged. It is hard to justify this stand. Also, sometimes, innocent people may get executed due to unfair judiciary decisions. This can cause common people to lose trust in the judiciary. The death penalty also deprives the convicts an opportunity to reform themselves. Sometimes even the most heinous crimes are committed at the spur of the moment. In this case, if the offender is given a chance to repent their action, it is not uncommon for many of them to become reformed individuals who can give back to the society.
On the other hand, capital punishment is a major deterrent. When it is certain that those who commit serious crimes will get the death penalty, many people will think twice before committing a crime. This way, capital punishment keeps grave crimes in check. There are also some criminals like terrorists who pose a threat to the entire society. Executing them is essential for the safety and security of the society.
In conclusion, although death penalty is an unusual and inhumane method of punishing the serious criminals, it is also the best deterrent. Personally, I believe that serious offenders who have absolutely no inclination to reform themselves should be executed for protecting the larger interests of the society.
- By Punishing Murderers With Death Penalty, Society Is Also Guilty Of Committing Murder | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about life imprisonment and death penalty
- By Punishing Murderers With The Death Penalty, Society Is Also Guilty Of Committing Murder | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Capital Punishment Should Never Be Used | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Convicted Criminals Commit More Crimes After Getting Released From Prison
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is An Increase In The Number Of Crimes Committed Each Year
- Many Criminals Commit More Crimes As Soon As They Are Released From Prison | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Criminals Who Commit Minor Crimes Should Be Made To Do Unpaid Community Work | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates And Capital Punishment
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Crimes After Serving Punishment