Some believe that people should not continue to work once they reach the age of retirement. Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your answer and include relevant examples from your experience.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Until what age individuals should work is a debatable issue; it is argued by many people that individuals should stop working once they reach the age of retirement. This essay strongly supports this view and it will examine this in subsequent paragraphs.
To commence with, on average, an individual works for almost twenty-five to thirty years before his or her retirement. This time span is quite long enough and by the time they reach the age of 55 or 60 most of them have already worked hard and fulfilled their responsibilities like providing education to their children and saving enough for their retirement. Therefore, after retirement individuals need time for themselves to enjoy their life. They should spend this time for travelling to new places and also in physical activities like Yoga and Meditation that can improve their health. To illustrate further, according to a recent survey by World Health Organization, people who retire at the age of sixty and do not work after that were 30% happier than those who continue to work after retirement.
Furthermore, after retirement individuals can involve themselves in taking care of their grandchildren and being a mentor to them. Senior citizens possess a vast amount of life experience and it can be utilised best when they share it with youngsters; they can guide them in achieving their life goals. For instance, in our society, we have a club of retired people who help youngsters by guiding them to take the right decisions for their future.
To conclude, once individuals reach the age of retirement they have worked enough and they should spend the rest of their lives doing activities that make them happy. Moreover, they can help youngsters in achieving their life goals.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- People Should Not Continue Work After They Reach Age Of Retirement | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | As People Live Longer The Retirement Age Should Be Increased
- IELTS writing test in India: Should people plan for their retirement?
- IELTS essay: Should retirement age be increased?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Having A Set Retirement Age For All Employees Is Unfair
- People Are Living Longer So The Retirement Age Should Be Raised | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Early Retirement
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample About Fixed Retirement Age For All
- Having A Set Retirement Age For All Is Not Fair | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Why Do You Think People Attend College Or University? | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample