Some Believe That Elderly People Should Live In Nursing Homes; Others Think They Should Live With Their Family | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Some believe elderly people should live in nursing homes, others think they should live with their family members. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
There is no doubt that older people have to counter many health issues and other problems. Therefore, they need a full time caretaker. For this reason, some people opine that it is beneficial for elderly people to spend the last phase of their life in nursing homes; however, others think that they should stay with their family members. In my opinion, older people should live in nursing homes as they have experienced and specialized staff that can efficiently take care of them.
On the one hand, some people are of the view that during old age a person ought to live in nursing homes and I agree with them. Firstly, health of an elderly person continuously deteriorates; thus, it is important that they are surrounded by medical experts. Secondly, these nursing homes are designed in such a way that they are safer for the elderly. They also use the latest technologies and innovations to make the life of elderly people comfortable and convenient. For instance, nursing homes are well equipped with lifts, computerized wheel chairs and escalators to name a few.
On the other hand, there are many people who argue that seniors should be able to live with their family members in their home. There are certainly some benefits to this arrangement. To start with, elders are happier in the company of their children and grandchildren. They feel loved and cherished when they get to live with their near and dear ones. However, there is a serious problem with this arrangement. Often times, youngsters are too busy to take care of their ageing parents. They spend long hours at the workplace leaving their sick or old parents alone at home. Consequently, the elderly often have to battle depression and loneliness. Also, if they are alone at home, they may not get immediate care and attention in a medical emergency.
In conclusion, the elderly should live in nursing homes as they receive proper care and attention there. Moreover, in the nursing home, their health is regularly monitored by nurses and doctors whereas at home family members are often too busy to devote time to their needs.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- IELTS essay: Who should pay for senior care?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | People Are Living Longer. Is This A Positive Development Or Negative Development?
- IELTS essay: Should people be allowed to build homes of whatever design and size they prefer
- People Are Living Longer So The Retirement Age Should Be Raised | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Speaking Questions: Family- related
- IELTS essay sample | The structure of families and roles of family members are changing
- Topic card: Talk about an elderly person you know
- Band 8 Essay Sample | More And More People Are Showing An Interest in Finding Out Their Family History
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | As People Live Longer The Retirement Age Should Be Increased