Social Media Is Becoming Increasingly Popular Among All Age Groups | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Social media is becoming increasingly popular amongst all age groups. However, sharing personal information on social media websites does have risks. Do you think that the advantages of social media outweigh the disadvantages?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Thanks to the advent of social media, people are now better able to stay connected to their friends and family. They can even follow celebrities to such an extent which was not previously possible. However, the usage of social media has its risks. As people of all ages have access to it and use it in their daily life, it has become a major risk for children as they can be exposed to adult content which may trigger violent behaviour in them. The children are also vulnerable to cyber exploitation as they may not know the true identity or motive of the person they are interacting with online. Even when children are talking to someone they know, social media can still pose a lot of other threats. Cyber bullying is frequently reported in the news and occurs on social media among children. This is very problematic as it means that children can be bullied even when they at their home.
Social media can be problematic for adults, too. Many people are comfortable posting personal views and opinions and other stuff on social media that they wouldn’t normally share in real life. This can indirectly cause a bad impression on other people, and if employers judge the nature of the content prospective employees post on social media to be inappropriate, it can affect their chances of attaining or keeping jobs. This posted information can also be used to to track adult people and to know their whereabouts which enables the anti-social elements to take advantage and stalk the people and blackmail them to get their bidding done.
In conclusion, people have to be aware of the risks of using social media, and careful enough to post only minimal, risk free and respectable content. Only then the advantages of social media will outweigh the disadvantages.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Social media is becoming increasingly popular among all age groups
- Many People Believe That Media Coverage Of Celebrities Has A Negative Effect On Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Many People Believe That Social Networking Sites Have Had Huge Negative Impact On Both Individuals And Society | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- It Is Becoming Increasingly Popular To Have A Year Off Between Finishing School And Going To University
- Nowadays People Are Affected By The Internet And Social Media | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Internet Has Created Problems That Did Not Exist Before | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample: Social media addiction
- Media Has A Big Role To Play In The Spreading Of Any News | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay: Is internet good or bad?
- Nowadays Technology Is Increasingly Being Used To Monitor What People Are Saying And Doing | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample