Many countries are experiencing population growth and a need for more homes. Should these new homes be constructed in the existing cities or should new towns be built for this purpose? Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing module? Get your writing samples corrected by me or buy my book with proven tips and tricks to improve your grammar and writing.
Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
The population is increasing day by day and building housing / homes for all the people has become a major cause for concern. According to some people, new homes should be built within existing cities; however, others opine that new residential colonies should be built to house people who do not have a roof over their head. In my opinion, both options have their merits and demerits and the government should consider them both.
Expansion of existing city is a good idea as it is already functioning and has proper infrastructure. If more people join this group, there will not be any discomfort. In fact, they will also contribute towards the development and economic growth of that area by serving and paying taxes. Therefore, this would be a cheaper, easier and convenient way of accommodating the growing population. However, the government should monitor the number of occupants because over occupancy may deteriorate the quality of people’s lives in these areas.
On the other hand, building new towns is a great option if implemented in the right manner. If the government takes care of the industrial and agricultural development of a place, a new town can take birth. Also, this will generate a huge number of employment options. In addition, the creation of new small towns will discourage people from migrating to big cities. For example, Surat in Gujarat is a small town developed in this manner, today it is one of the top 10 industrial areas in India.
In conclusion, I believe that the problem of building housing for the increasing population can be tackled by expanding existing cities and constructing new towns. In either case, it is important for the government to ensure that adequate facilities are in place before cities are expanded or built.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | It is important to have huge public spaces like parks and squares in towns and cities.
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Young People Are Leaving Their Homes And Villages And Moving To Cities
- New Homes Are Needed But The Only Space Available Is In The Countryside | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That New Homes Should Be Built In The Countryside | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay: Should people be allowed to build homes of whatever design and size they prefer
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people think that new houses should be built in the same style as the older houses in the local area
- To solve traffic and transportation problems, people should be encouraged to live in cities | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Some People Believe That The Countryside Should Not Be Used For Building New Homes
- Band 7 Essay About Over Population In Cities
- IELTS essay about quality of life in cities