Schools Should Prepare Students For University Rather Than For Work | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Schools should prepare students for university, rather than for work. How far do you agree with this statement? Support your point of view with reasons and/or examples from your own experience or observations.
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essay samples, letter samples and report samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
According to some people, the purpose of schooling is to prepare students for higher education at university. In their opinion, school is not the right place to learn skills required for the workplace. I do not quite agree with this view. In my opinion, schools should definitely impart theoretical knowledge in the core subjects; however, at the same time, the school curriculum should include activities and assignments that enable students to acquire practical skills required for the workplace.
It is important for schools to teach subjects like science, mathematics and languages to their students. While these subjects do not necessarily prepare a person for a job, they are essential for surviving in this world. Language skills, for example, enable students to articulate their thoughts more effectively. Likewise, some understanding of science and mathematics is crucial for going about our day to day life. Hence, it is imperative that schools provide education in these subjects. In fact, every student should learn to read and write and do simple sums before they acquire work skills. Also, most prestigious jobs require a person to have a tremendous understanding of theory. For example, one cannot be a doctor or an engineer without learning theory. And before students can enter a medical college or engineering college, they should have learned the respective subjects at school. Hence, the argument that schools should prepare students for university certainly holds water.
On the flip side, schools can certainly set aside a few hours for teaching practical skills that enhance a student’s job readiness. Not everyone will become a scientist or a doctor. The world needs carpenters, plumbers, masons and cooks as well and interested students should be able to acquire basic skills in these occupations at school. This does not mean that these skills should be taught at the expense of the core subjects. However, there is no harm in setting aside a few hours every week for imparting work skills that might be beneficial in the future.
To conclude, school is certainly the place where students should acquire knowledge required for university. However, this does not mean that schools should only teach languages or mathematics. Some training can and should be imparted in work oriented skills as well.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools teach traditional subjects like history?
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Some People Think That Students Should Go To University To Improve Their Career Prospects
- Schools Should Spend More Time Teaching Skills That Can Help Students Get A Job | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Students Should Only Learn Science And Technology At University | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools give more importance to subjects like arts, music and creating writing?
- Senior School Students Should Learn A Wide Range Of Subjects | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people think that all university students should study whatever they like
- Some students take a year off between school and university | IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Students Should Take A Gap Year Between High School And University