News Plays An Important Role In People’s Lives | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
News plays an important part of most people’s lives. Why is news so important to people? Why is so much news dedicated to bad news? Should the news focus on good news instead?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
News has always played an important role in people’s lives and it is not surprising. News enables people to stay updated about the happenings in and around their world. However, much of the news deals with bad news. In my opinion, it is important to highlight bad news, but good news should be given equal importance.
News helps the human society to learn about the happenings in and around the world. I feel that news is the best way to learn about the current affairs across the globe. It plays a major role in shaping up the perspectives of a person which in turn determines what he does for the society. But off late, most of the news reporting channels dedicate a large amount of time to report bad news instead of the good news. For example, very recently an athlete won a gold medal in the Common Wealth Games; however, the media chose to neglect this news. Instead, it gave more coverage to a political scandal which was of much less importance. This is probably because bad news shocks people and grab their attention more easily. The competition among media houses is pretty high and each one is trying to grab more eyeballs. Consequently, they are after news that will create shock and awe.
However, I am of the opinion that both good news and bad news should be addressed by media houses with equal importance. Good news always motivates people to do some good deeds for the society. Take the instance of an awareness campaign run by an NGO last weekend. It motivated a lot of youngsters to openly support the cause. Bad news should also get equal coverage because it is important for people to know about the crimes and other negative things happening around them. Only then can they protect themselves from the various dangers they face.
To conclude, both good news and bad news should be given the same kind of importance as both play a major role in shaping a person’s perspective and helps them stay safe and informed.
- Band 9 essay sample | Should news editors give more importance to good news?
- Band 7 Essay Sample | News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspapers.
- In many countries, very few young people read newspapers or follow the news on TV | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample | News is often accompanied by images
- IELTS essay sample: Television’s role in education
- Should media write about the private lives of celebrities | IELTS essay
- IELTS essay sample: Should media give more importance to good stories?
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Few Young People Read Newspapers
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | News stories on TV and in newspapers are very often accompanied by pictures
- IELTS essay sample | Should government ask media to stop reporting violence?