It is important for children to learn the difference between right and wrong at an early age. Punishment is necessary to help them learn this distinction. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? What sort of punishment should parents and teachers be allowed to use to teach good behaviour to children?
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Children’s behaviour and character almost always reflect what they have been taught by their parents and teachers. Since a person’s character is formed during their childhood, it is important for children to learn the difference between right. Many people opine that punishment is necessary for children to learn appropriate behaviour and values. I agree with this opinion to a great extent.
One of the reasons to punish a child when they do something wrong is to make them aware of the immoral act right away. When they are punished they will realize that their act was unacceptable and this will deter them from repeating the same offence. For example, a child uttering foul language or bullying others, if immediately reprimanded, is less likely to attempt this misbehaviour again.
As for the forms of punishments, in my opinion, parents and teachers should resort to only mild punishments. For example, at school, teachers can ask a child to stand outside the classroom. At home, parents can stop the child from watching their favourite TV show if they do not complete their homework or eat healthy food. Sometimes, an emotional punishment is even more helpful. For instance, parents can stop talking to their child for a while if they do something really bad.
Another way of punishing is to instil in children the fear of loss. Some children are not afraid of getting beaten, but they will definitely not want to lose something dear to them. Parents, for example, can stop giving them their pocket money or prevent them from playing with their pets or friends if they misbehave.
In conclusion, I feel that some sort of punishment is essential to guide the children about the difference between good and bad. However, at the same time, it should be ensured that harsh forms of corporal punishment such as beating or punching are not employed.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 7 essay sample | Punishment is necessary to help children learn the difference between right and wrong
- Punishment Is Necessary To Help Children Learn The Distinction Between Right And Wrong | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 essay sample | School is the place to learn social values
- It is often said that children learn best by observing the behavior of adults and copying it | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Children Learn By Observing The Behaviour Of Adults And Copying It | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Children Learn By Observing And Copying the Behaviour of Adults
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Schools Should Teach Good Behaviour To Children
- Some People Think That Parents Should Teach Children How To Be Good Members Of Society | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Parents Should Teach Children To Be Good Members Of The Society | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Fewer schools are requiring children to learn and improve their handwriting skills. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this trend?