Positive And Negative Effects Of Technology Through Mass Media | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Positive and negative effects of technology through mass media
Here is a band 9 essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Mass media plays a crucial role in our everyday life, and it is widely used to stay in touch with our near and dear ones and also to communicate messages with our peer groups. In my opinion, mass media does have some demerits, but those are negligible compared to the advantages it brings to our lives.
To begin with, through radio, television and internet programs people can gain knowledge and information on almost every topic. For example, they can find health information, learn about environmental issues and stay updated on science and technology through mass media programmes. The radio, for example, is a major source of information for people living in remote areas. It enables them to stay abreast of the latest developments in the world. If there were no radio, perhaps it would take them weeks or even months to receive national and international news. Television and the internet provide not only entertainment but also knowledge. For example, both children and adults can learn a lot about science, technology, history and wildlife through television channels such as Discovery and National Geographic. Obviously, mass media benefits our lives in numerous ways.
On the flip side, it does have some negative aspects. To start with, mass media can be quite addictive and it is not uncommon for people to spend inordinate amounts of time in front of their television or computer. Unfortunately, this practice hurts their health. It may also affect their social skills because couch potatoes are less likely to go out and interact with others. Another downside is that some content on the television and the internet is not appropriate for children. For example, if children get exposed to violent or obscene visual content, it can affect their behaviour.
In conclusion, the benefits offered by mass media certainly outweigh its downsides. Even so, it is important for users to limit the time spent on electronic devices to limit their exposure to harmful content and to ensure that they stay healthy and socially active.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay sample: Computer technology has more of a negative impact than a positive impact on the society. Do you agree?
- Using A Computer Every Day Can Have More Negative Than Positive Effects On Young Children | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 essay sample | Positive and negative effects of living alone
- Some People Think That News And Media Are Affecting Our Lives In A Positive Way | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample | Media is paying too much attention to famous people
- Band 7 essay sample | Impact of technology
- Do You Think Design Of Buildings Have Positive Or Negative Impact? | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Should media write about the private lives of celebrities | IELTS essay
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Violence In Media Promotes Violence Among People
- Social media is becoming increasingly popular among all age groups