Many people are now opting to provide technology companies with their personal data in exchange for access to software. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
Here is a model answer on this topic. It an edited version of an essay submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
A majority of people choose to give software companies access to their personal information so that they can use a software application for free. People can use the software for myriads of fruitful purposes; however, in my opinion, because of the fact that corporations can misuse the private data for their own benefits, the advantages of this practice do not outweigh the disadvantages.
By giving access to information such as email address to a technology company, people can have full right to make use of the application for their indispensable needs. This can make their life more convenient and less laborious. For example, you must allow your camera and photos to be accessed to use Skype, a video calling software. By using this software people can have the benefit of staying connected to their loved ones irrespective of / regardless of their location and distance. However, sometimes people might experience the breach of their confidential information by some agencies. Providing companies access to our personal data can sometimes lead to the infringement of our privacy and security.
Some applications take advantage of the process of accessing information just to gather and exploit it for malicious purposes. For instance, in 2014, Unibic calling application was highly criticized for selling the confidential data of various people to an advertising company in return for a huge amount of money. Therefore, the threat of potential misuse of personal information eclipses the advantages of having free access to an application.
In conclusion, while it is true that people can use the software for numerous important purposes in exchange for their personal information, establishments can misuse the provided data. So, I believe that benefits do not outweigh the drawbacks.
If you have an essay on this topic, post it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 8 essay sample | Should employees share personal information with the employer?
- Employers Sometimes Ask People Applying For Jobs For Personal Information | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Employers Sometimes Ask For The Personal Information Of Employees | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Employers Are Asking For Too Much Personal Information
- Some People Believe That Modern Technology Is Increasing The Gap Between The Rich And The Poor | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay sample: Computer technology has more of a negative impact than a positive impact on the society. Do you agree?
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Employers Sometimes Ask For Personal Information Of Job Applicants
- Employers sometimes ask people applying for jobs for personal information, such as their hobbies and interests | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Nowadays people have free access to online movies and music | Band 8.5 IELTS essay sample
- Some People Think That It Would Be Better For Large Companies And Industries To Move To Regional Areas Outside Urban Centers | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample