One way to solve problem of congestion in cities is to build sky trains which run overhead rather than on or under the ground. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using this solution to solve congestion?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
According to some people building sky trains is a better way to solve traffic problems in cities than building ground railways or underground tubes. In this essay I will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of sky trains in terms of their ability to ease traffic congestion.
On the one hand, there are numerous benefits to operating sky trains. To start with, overheard railways occupy minimal land. They do not require much land space apart from the land required for constructing pillars and tube stations. Hence, they leave enough space for other forms of ground transport and eventually reduce traffic congestion.
A perfect example of this is seen in the Indian capital New Delhi, where the recent construction of overhead tubes helped diminish road traffic. Secondly, this mode of conveyance is much faster than other forms of transport. Overhead tubes will take significantly less time than cars or ground trains to reach one destination from another. Thus, they save commuting time and at the same time reduce traffic.
On the other hand, there are a few drawbacks to sky trains which cannot be overlooked. One evident disadvantage is the humungous cost it takes to construct overhead tubes. A major portion of any government’s budget goes into the making of overhead network of trains. Because of these financial constraints, sky trains are not in the priority list of most governments. Safety is another concern. Since the tubes move on narrow concrete paths, it is considered an extremely unsafe mode of conveyance. In addition to these risk factors, emergency evacuation is not always possible in the event of a mishap.
In conclusion, sky trains are certainly more effective than surface or underground trains in easing traffic congestion in cities; however, their downsides cannot be overlooked.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- IELTS essay sample: Some people believe that governments should invest in trains to solve traffic problems
- The Best Way To Solve The Traffic Congestion In City Is To Provide Free Public Transport For 24 Hours A Day | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- To solve traffic and transportation problems, people should be encouraged to live in cities | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | In Order To Solve Traffic Problems People Should Live In Cities
- One Problem Faced By Almost Every Large City Is Traffic Congestion | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- The best way to reduce traffic congestion in cities is to provide a free public transport service | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- In Many Places, New Homes Are Needed But The Only Space Available For Building Them Is In The Countryside | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Increasing The Price Of Petrol Is The Best Way To Solve Growing Traffic And Pollution Problems | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Spending Money On Super Fast Trains Vs. Spending It On Existing Public Transport
- Providing Free Public Transport Is The Best Way To Reduce Traffic Congestion | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample