News Plays An Important Part Of Most People’s Lives | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
News plays an important part of most people’s lives. Why is news so important to people? Why is so much news dedicated to bad news? Should the news focus on good news instead?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Today’s modern world is incomplete without news as it constitutes an essential part of most individual’s lives. This essay will discuss the significance of news to the society. This essay will also discuss the reasons for giving more coverage to bad news nowadays. In my opinion, there must be equal focus on both good and bad news.
News helps people to remain informative all the time. It makes people aware of the happenings and events that occur around them. People are well informed of latest developments and discoveries happening across the globe. It plays a crucial role in shaping the opinion of a person which in turns determines what he does for the society. For instance, in recent times more and more people are showing an active interest in politics and the achievements and failures of their government. This, in turn, will help them vote for the right government in the upcoming elections. In other words, news educates people to become good citizens by updating them with all the latest growths and events around them.
Nowadays most of the news channels give more coverage to bad news as it increases their TRP (Television Rating Points). In the world of competition every news channel wants to have more viewers so they give more coverage to bad news as it shocks the people and grabs their attention. For instance, recently in India when ISRO launched 120 satellites at once it didn’t get much coverage as on other side media were busy showing news of mob lynching issue happened in Uttar Pradesh which may not be even true. In short, competition in the media world and people’s curiosity to watch shocking or breaking news encourages newspapers and television channels to give more coverage to bad news.
However, I believe that media channels must give equal coverage to both good and bad news. On the one hand, good news inspires people to work for betterment of the society. On the other hand, bad news also plays an important role as it makes people aware of crimes and other negative things happening around them and they may take some preventive measures to avoid these things happening to them. For instance, the news of robbery and stealing makes people take proper care of their belongings when they go out. To sum-up, both good and bad news must get equal coverage so that people are aware of both good and bad things happening around them.
In conclusion, I believe the news plays a significant role in our life because it keeps people updated with all latest events and developments around them. In my opinion, both good and bad news must be given equal coverage as they play important role in guiding and shaping public perspective and their opinion.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- News Plays An Important Role In People’s Lives | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- News Plays An Important Part In Most People’s lives | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That News And Media Are Affecting Our Lives In A Positive Way | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Should news editors give more importance to good news?
- Nowadays News Companies Spend A Lot Of Money Covering International News | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Although More People Read News On The Internet, Newspapers Will Remain The Most Important Source Of News | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Although More And More People Read News On The Internet, Newspapers Will Remain The Most Important Source Of News | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7 Essay Sample | News editors decide what to broadcast on television and what to print in newspapers.
- Band 7.5 essay sample | News is often accompanied by images
- In many countries, very few young people read newspapers or follow the news on TV | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample