My education is a hindrance to the process of my learning- Explain this quote by Einstein
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on this topic. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Many people believe that education is an obstacle in their learning path and Einstein was one of them. Of course, he was one of the most intelligent people who ever lived on earth but Einstein often lamented that his education was hindering the process of his learning.
If we examine this quote, it is not hard to see that there is some truth in it. Education, especially the conventional method of learning and teaching followed by schools and colleges, can hurt the intellectual development of students. It stifles creativity and imagination and tries to cast everyone in the same mould. That is mainly because schools teach the same subjects to all the students irrespective of their tastes. The problem with this system is that many of these subjects are actually useless to most of these students. For example, at school, all students are taught a lot of history, geography, science and mathematics. Someone who is interested in becoming a history teacher needs only a basic understanding of physics or mathematics. Yet, at school, all of these subjects are enforced on all children. Unfortunately, this over emphasis on teaching all that is there to learn prevents students from acquiring proficiency in the one or two subjects they are interested in.
Also, our education system does not encourage creative thinking or experimentation. It is all about rote learning. However, this kind of learning cannot bring out the real talent of people. That probably also explains why some of the most successful people in the world were college dropouts. Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple and Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft, were highly intelligent students who enrolled in prestigious institutions. Yet, they dropped out midway through the course because they realized that university was stifling their growth. After dropping out of college, they launched their own companies which eventually became pioneers in the field of innovation and changed the course of history. Had they stayed at university to complete their course, perhaps the Mac or Windows would not have been born.
To conclude, Einstein was correct when he said that his education was a hindrance to his learning process.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
Want to improve your English grammar?
Your grammar mistakes could be lowering your score in the writing module. Want to avoid those mistakes? My grammar eBook English Grammar and Usage addresses common problem points in English. It is an easy reference book with entries arranged in alphabetical order. Buy it for just $3.99.
- IELTS Essay: Are schools providing specialized training better than those providing general education?
- Schools Should Prepare Students For University Rather Than For Work | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people say that in all levels of education, from primary schools to universities, too much time is spent on learning facts and not enough on learning practical skill
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools teach traditional subjects like history?
- Learning English At School Is Often Seen As More Important Than Learning Local Languages | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Cue card: Talk about a subject that you didn’t like learning at school
- IELTS essay: All learning should be done online
- Band 9 essay sample: Online learning is better than classroom learning. Do you agree?
- Is Learning English More Important Than Learning Local Languages? | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Schools are giving too much importance to traditional subjects like history